Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have seen alot of discussion on here about the G80 Lokccing Rear diff, but I have only owned my TB for 2 weeks, so I really don't know much about it yet, but I pretty much assumed it wasn't in mine since my truck is relatively basic on the options side. However dwright406 just ran the GM inquiry for me and it appears I have the G80...who knew. Anyways, can someone tell me the advantages/disadvantages of the G80 if there are any, and if it changes any of the trucks maintenance needs? I'm planning on having the transfer case and both diffs fluid exchanged next weekend, as I'm not a fan of not knowing exactly when stuff was done on my vehicles. Thanks in advance

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
Oh boy... Your questions have been answered SOOO many times on this forum, and you have over 10 posts, so you can search, so I'm tempted to not even answer any of it, but here goes...

I'm not going to touch how it works, because that's been answered SOOO many MORE times on the forum...

You might want to change your rear diff fluid more often, given the clutches in the locker dirtying up the fluid... I'd change it every 30k miles with a G80 in it.

Fluids:

Front - any gear lube

T-case - ONLY the GM AutoTRAC II fluid. Anything else will kill the clutches in the T-case.

G80 rear diff - I say use the fluid from GM, as it's synthetic and has the LSD additive in it already, but I gather than Amsoil says theirs works for it, and so does Royal Purple, apparently (Mobil 1 says theirs does NOT work)... Either way, it is a specific fluid spec for the clutches in the G80, and by the time you buy RP or Amsoil, and pay for the shipping, you're at or over the cost of the GM stuff anyway.

Mike

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, informative video.

I actually did do a search before i posted, as I always do, however all i really found was info on how to change rear ends, people wanting g80s and such, but not really why they were good. A simple video link, now I understand and its all good.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
331 Posts
Dont think this was covered

I dont think this was covered but is it relatively easy to swap the g80 in a tb that doesnt have one and are there any decent aftermarket locking diffs that can be put in instead

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
388 Posts
If you want to know if your truck has a G80 or not then try and do a doughnut in a parking lot, if it just does a hugely wide circle and one wheel peels then obviously it dosnt have it, whereas if it kicks in and spins sideways like a dime then youve got it

As far as maintenance, you need to buy LSD Fluid for the Rear, the locker will go crazy on you if you put regular fluid in it with no Locker / LSD Additive, i recommend Royal Purple fluid, its 15 a quart at Pep Boys and you only need two and its a good investment as its the best fluid you can buy

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
... you have over 10 posts, so you can search...
Just have to correct this misinformation. Years ago, the site was configured that way to encourage newbs to join the community and post up a few times. Now the encouragement is by locking out PMs and some other things until 10 posts, but search is active all the time. New folks have to have some other excuse for not searching.

Not sure how you missed the many discussions we have in the Offroad forum about the functionality of the locker, but you might want to try an advanced search where you can search for a term JUST in specific forums. That's what I do a lot to avoid the riffraff posts.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
I dont think this was covered but is it relatively easy to swap the g80 in a tb that doesnt have one and are there any decent aftermarket locking diffs that can be put in instead
Wow, and here I thought that she SWB I6 Trailvoys had a unique diff that nobody else made any aftermarket lockers for... Also, when you change the carrier (the part that contains the locker), you have to re-shim, which takes time and some amount expertise... It's definately not on the same level as doing a trans service, an oil change, or changing brakes... Best to take it to a rear end shop, as a lot of dealer techs aren't even very good at it...

Just have to correct this misinformation. Years ago, the site was configured that way to encourage newbs to join the community and post up a few times. Now the encouragement is by locking out PMs and some other things until 10 posts, but search is active all the time. New folks have to have some other excuse for not searching.
Interesting... Thanks for the correction... It was that way when I joined (2 years ago), but I guess they changed it since then... Makes sense, because I hate having to post before being able to search, as it takes away the ability for one to find information for themself, before posting questions and such...

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts