Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
231 Posts
I have an 03 LT/EXT TB 4WD with 101k miles. Purchased it about 3 weeks ago and don't have any maintenance records. I am going to go with Royal Purple being that alot of you guys talk very good about it. Anyhow I don't know how much fluid the vehicle is going to need. I am going to drain everything: tranny, engine, transfercase, front and rear differentials. Question is can some one tell me how much fluid is going to be needed for each component I am looking to drain. I know I will need to replace the tranny gasket. Will I need to buy seals for the differentials as well as the transfercase? Also does RP sell a tranny filter if not whats a good one to go with?

I forgot the power steering also. Never did this before so any tips on how to will also be appreciated.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
8,149 Posts
I believe all or most of the info you need is in the owners manual. The rear diff. gasket is neoprene and shouldn't need replacing. your '03 should have a drain plug in the rear. You will probably need a trans. pan gasket, but it should be included with the filter. Go with the up-graded Dexron IV for the trans.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
52 Posts
I believe all or most of the info you need is in the owners manual. The rear diff. gasket is neoprene and shouldn't need replacing. your '03 should have a drain plug in the rear. You will probably need a trans. pan gasket, but it should be included with the filter. Go with the up-graded Dexron IV for the trans.
I think you mean Dexron VI?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
253 Posts
Engine Oil is 7 quarts with a filter

Front Differential 1 Quart 75w90 - Has a drain plug
Rear Differential 2 Quarts 75w90 - Reusable Gasket

Transfer Case 2 Quarts GM Specialty Fluid. - Has a drain plug

If your going to exchange the fluid in your transmission I recommend you buy enough to flush the system not just change the fluid in the pan. If I were doing a DIY trans flush I would have 24 quarts on hand to flush first then change the filter.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
Rear diffs in 2002-2003 have a drain plug. Something GM took away from us later folks. (Hehe. I thwarted their intentions by replacing my grenaded rear axle with one from a 2003 EXT. Now I have a drain plug. :cool:)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so for the transfer case I cannot go with Royal Purple just GM specialty fluid? I ask because i guess someone steered me wrong and said i can go with RP. Also i am looking to do an entire tranny flush so 24 quarts will be needed to refill it after it is completetly drained? Sorry like i said i am just getting to learn my new pride and joy. I just want to do it all myself because mechanics out here in NY are crooks not mechanics. They say steer away from synthetics and never touch your tranny or else...........

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
253 Posts
I'm not aware of a fluid for the transfer case other than the GM Specialty fluid. To do a DIY flush by pulling off the cooler lines and flushing out the old with new. And the dropping the pan I would guess is going to take that much. There isn't a fluid capacity for that type of DIY service unless you search and find another member here that's done it.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
434 Posts
Yo will want to buy a decent fluid pump for the filling. My suggestion on the tranny is drop the pan, change the filter, replace pan, then do the flush via the cooler lines. You should not need more that 15 quarts. Transfer case is dealer only GM Autotrak II(blue in color).

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can also instal a drain plug on the tranny pan once it's down. Very messy job if it doesn't have one. You can also vacuum some out thru the fill pipe.
I just noticed your response after I accomplished my goal. Sorry for the late reply but how wouldI have been able to install a drain plug?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.