Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 isuzu ascender
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've ran a search and really didn't find any thread that answers my question..

I definetely want to switch to a synthetic my next oil change which is coming up soon. I went to Wal-mart and was checking out oils today.. (I do my own changes). I wanted to know if Synthetic Blends are as good as full synthetics (I saw alot more blends) in means of smoother running, oil life (5k or more) and even increased fuel economy.

I mostly want to run synthetic for the smoother running that everyone talks about and I'm hoping for some better performance and longer oil change intervals...

Can someone explain for me? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
481 Posts
It's a good, better, best situation. My personal opinion is that with our large sump capacity and a good filter (Wix, PureOne) any SM rated dino is good for 5000 miles, synthetic blend 7500 and full synthetic 10000. Some are a little leery of extending their OCI but oil technology has come a long way. Best sleeper oil out their is Motorcraft Synthetic Blend unless you haven't taken advantage of the four $10 Mobil1 rebates out there (two for any oil and two for any 0W-xx product)

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
425 Posts
i run full synthetic and i go 5000 miles between changes. but from the looks of it when it comes out when i change it it could easily do for 10000 between changes

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
Spend the few extra dollars and go for the full synthetic. I have run nothing but full syn in my '02 TB since I bought it new in July of '01, and it's coming up on 162K. Not one oil related problem, and I still get 18.5+ average MPG, and the oil light doesn't come on until between 10-12K.

I have always run Mobil 1 and a Wix filter. Amsoil is the best (IMO), but not worth the extra $. Royal Purple is also excellent.

·
Registered
2007 gmc
159 Posts
AMSoil can be had at a lower cost but will never be able to get down as low as the Mobil 1 and the sales they have been having lately. But then again, why should they. Higher quality comes with a higher price.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
Actually going by the Oil Life Monitor - dino is good up to around 10 - 12K miles. The algorithm was designed and tested with dino oil. Rbarrios has run a UOA (Used Oil Analysis) on his and found the OLM to be right on the money!
Do a search - he has posted it several times.
Edit: Here I found it.
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showpost.php?p=705721&postcount=14

I've tried various synthetics in my Trailblazer and I personally feel it runs just as good if not better on plain old dino - in my case Mobil Clean 5000 or Valvoline.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
30 Posts
Spend the few extra dollars and go for the full synthetic. I have run nothing but full syn in my '02 TB since I bought it new in July of '01, and it's coming up on 162K. Not one oil related problem, and I still get 18.5+ average MPG, and the oil light doesn't come on until between 10-12K.

I have always run Mobil 1 and a Wix filter. Amsoil is the best (IMO), but not worth the extra $. Royal Purple is also excellent.
So,you are saying the engine realizes that syn oil is being used and adjusts change interval?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts