Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure whether I want to replace the whole exhaust or just the muffler and take out the resonator. First off, how much hp will be gained with a full exhaust? How much will I gain with just a muffler swap and taking out the resonator?

I need to see if it is worth the $$$ and time. My goal is to have something that sounds good (not too loud) and get a few extra hp's w/o dropping a ton of money. And I plan to do this myself.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

·
Registered
2007 chevy
75 Posts
There actually isnt much to be gained in the exhaust on these (with exception of headers), they are pretty free flowing as is. When superchips used mine they said mine showed 5whp more then the other 2wd they did with full stk exhaust, which could just be a difference in builds.

I took my muffler off an left the resonator on and it sounds good, slight drone if you leave the pedal in a certain area. It is easy to make go away, just go faster! Cost me $85 to have the muffler removed and put in a pipe.

I like the sound of it, the wife doesnt complain, my 1 yo goes to sleep within 30 secs of driving. I went hauling ass past a frind of mine and he siad it had that throaty mustang sound to it. He meant it as a compliment.:crazy: Cause mustang do "sound" good, usually.

That said I just ordered the dual valance from TBM and am going to run duals, like she should have come with.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beautiful...I am taking it to a local place, here in Rochester to figure out what I want to do after work. I was quoted $399 for a JBA catback and $150 for an install. After reading your post and others on here, I may have him run the pipe or get a new muffler. I can't see spending $400 for virtually no extra power. Do you have a sound clip or a link to one?

And I agree witht he sound of a mustang...it is a great sound...Too bad it's a ford!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
If you just want more sound, just have the muffler shop remove the resonator and put an extension and a nice chrome tip on....easy and not too much $.

·
Registered
2008 chevy
422 Posts
get you a new muffler and have them run 3.5 inch from the flex back. there are basically no horses gained from the exhaust but if there was id be that way. cheaper than premaid and better sound.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
4 Posts
Remove resonator

I removed the 25# ugly resonator and had a stainless oval resonator put on at the muffler shop. The exhaust tone is sweet without being loud. The cost $70.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3 Posts
MPG Better Without Muffler or Resonator?

Will I improve the MPG by removing doing the muffler delete or removing resonator? I love my Envoy SLT (I6), but mileage is awful (18 MPG at it's best).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts