Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some cars have removable panels in their floors to access the fuel pump w/o having to drop the tank. Our Trailvoys do not. We are screwed by the GM enginers once again.

I am asking those of you who have removed your fuel tank for any reason, What is directly above the fuel pump? Would it be practical to locate the center of the pump from inside the truck and then use a hole saw or sabre saw with a short blade to cut a hole in the floor to allow me to remove the pump and sender from above?

To cover the hole I see myself going to a salvage yard with the piece I removed from my TB and cutting a piece from the same location in the doner TB -- but with a 1" margin all around. The bigger piece from the donor will thus have the same lumps, bumps, and contours as the floor of my TB. This piece will fit much better than if I stole one of my wife's cookie sheets and try to beat it into shape. With a handful of sheet metal screws and lots of caulk/ sealer I should be able to close my DIY access hole well enough.

So, what do you think?
Good idea for a mod? Terrible idea? Good idea but...?

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Sounds like an excellent idea, for next time.

For safety sake, the cutting should be done with the tank out.

Not really sure how close the tank is to the floor. Good luck.

·
Registered
413 Posts
:iagree: Sounds like an idea worth pursuing but it might be a bit of overkill to cut a similar piece off a donor truck, especially since it will be hidden by the tank from under and carpeting or panels from inside. Maybe find some sort of weather stripping to go around the edge to seal this new "access door".

Especially with GM's, it's a regular maintenance item to change the sender :hahano:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
98 Posts
Did this in my brother's Jeep Cherokee, also cut access for the rear shock mounts. Did the same patch for the access holes with a donor Cherokee floor pan and used a bigger piece to lip over the floor pan with heavy duty black silicone and 8 sheet metal screws.

Don't use a sawzall or jigsaw, use a multi-master tool for less penetration, or sheet metal nippers.

I'm not sure of the clearance between the tank and floor pans either.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
If mine ever fails, this will be my tactic, since I have steel armor underneath the gas tank and it would be a total PAIN to remove. Although it was made to come off, of course.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
16 Posts
I think thats a good idea.With safety factors in mind.lol.I would like to see pics too.My sender is out.been using my odometer to figure out how much gas i have.lol.Even ran out in the middle of the road.lol Please post pics .thanks.::bonk:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This thread is reading like the fable about a colony of mice who are being terrorized by a cat. One of the mice suggest somebody tie a bell around the cat's neck so they all will have warning when the cat is approaching. Every single one of the mice thinks this is an excellent idea but none of the mice want to be the one who has to tie the bell to the cat.

I do appreciate everybody's support and approval of my idea.:thx Anyone reading this who has dropped their gas tank and can share some details or measurments?

..... the cutting should be done with the tank out.
Good luck.
Taking the tank out is what I am trying to avoid!

Sounds like an idea worth pursuing but it might be a bit of overkill to cut a similar piece off a donor truck, especially since it will be hidden by the tank from under and carpeting or panels from inside. :hahano:
I am not looking for a good fit for the access panel because I want it to be pretty, but because I want it weather tight.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
This thread is reading like the fable about a colony of mice who are being terrorized by a cat. One of the mice suggest somebody tie a bell around the cat's neck so they all will have warning when the cat is approaching. Every single one of the mice thinks this is an excellent idea but none of the mice want to be the one who has to tie the bell to the cat.

I do appreciate everybody's support and approval of my idea.:thx Anyone reading this who has dropped their gas tank and can share some details or measurments?

Taking the tank out is what I am trying to avoid!QUOTE]

These mice are alive because we didn't cut into a plastic gas tank with a spark throwing grinder.:crackup:

From what I can see, it just doesn't look like there is enough room between the body and the tank to safely make the cut. Not to mention all the wires and hoses. But good luck to you. I hope you prove me wrong.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Some brave mouse could always drill a small hole, perhaps off to the side, then insert a borescope to check the situation out. Or use a nibbler to avoid the spark issue.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
A nibbler is a good idea.

There may even be enough room to put a small video camera up from the bottom to scope it out. :undecided

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
Access hatch

My pump? sender needs replacing ( leaking return line and out of warranty) so I am going via the top. Does anyone have measurments or pictures so I can be at least be in the right ball park. Pictures of removed tank and or interior will help so I can take measurments from tank straps and transfer info to topside. I'll stby for replies before starting to cut. :thx

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
Fuel Pump access

Bringing a thread back from the dead here. Has anyone done it yet? I'm going to do this next week. Proper measurements and tools and it shouldn't be too hard.
If it has been done, pics and any other info will be welcome. I will post my results with pics and measurements.
I am a toolmaker, so I play with metal everyday.

Oh, and "HELLO" :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Some cars have removable panels in their floors to access the fuel pump w/o having to drop the tank. Our Trailvoys do not. We are screwed by the GM enginers once again.

I am asking those of you who have removed your fuel tank for any reason, What is directly above the fuel pump? Would it be practical to locate the center of the pump from inside the truck and then use a hole saw or sabre saw with a short blade to cut a hole in the floor to allow me to remove the pump and sender from above?

To cover the hole I see myself going to a salvage yard with the piece I removed from my TB and cutting a piece from the same location in the doner TB -- but with a 1" margin all around. The bigger piece from the donor will thus have the same lumps, bumps, and contours as the floor of my TB. This piece will fit much better than if I stole one of my wife's cookie sheets and try to beat it into shape. With a handful of sheet metal screws and lots of caulk/ sealer I should be able to close my DIY access hole well enough.

So, what do you think?
Good idea for a mod? Terrible idea? Good idea but...?

I've dropped my tank atleast 5 times while redoing my 03 EXT. I wish I would have cut a access hole lol. Wasn't to bad after the first 2 times I have to drop it again to replace the netting sock on fuel pump. When my gas light comes on it acts like it wants to stall when hitting gas. Anyone ever had this issue?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts