Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever had this problem? The fuel line popped off the fuel pump causing the 05 tb to stall and leave my wife stranded. I replaced the the fuel pump almost one year ago (about 9000 miles ago). I live in Indiana and the temps have been belo.w freezing and into the single digits for about three weeks. The plastic connection appears to be intact and was able to snap right back on. It is secure and will not come off while pulling upward. Because the pump was replaced so long ago, I don't think it seperated because it wasn't fastened tightly. I do wonder if water got into the plastic connection and froze forcing it to work itself off the pump. I can't find anything on this across the web. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
708 Posts
It is very possible that you didn't really tighten it up good enough even though you thought you did. I would say that's what happened to it. I have seen this done before on my olds, the clip was broken cause it is so old. After i changed the FP the line went back together and stayed that way for a long time then it came off unexpectedly one day. The clip was broken though so that was the cause of my problem. Maybe it won't happen to you again.

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
:iagree:New to me but I'm not in a shop watching people bring in vehicles every day. Usually something like that is from something that I did or didn't do during my install :undecided

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re:

Thanks for the suggestions. Do any of you know how to test the connection to ensure it's not broken? It snapped on and feels secure. Is there a way to replace the clip without replacing the entire line?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem resolved [ATTACH]9337._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Turns out the sender fuel line seperated from the pump because the plastic retainer clip broke on the bend. I called just about every parts store in Indianapolis and no one knew what I needed. A local stealership told me I had to replace the entire fuel line because the clips aren't sold seperate. They went on to say this particular fuel line was on back order across the country, and it might be a few weeks before it came in (Tells me someone might consider issuing a recall). This wasn't going to work for me since I had the car towed home and parked on the street. I had already dropped the tank and everything was a huge mess. I decided to call around the parts stores again to try and find an aftermarket replacement line. I got some serious luck when I called Carquest. He said he was sure he could find a fuel line that would work for me. I went on to explain my problem and that all I needed was a simple plastic retaining clip. He said "Yes we carry those". Hot damn! $8.00 and problem solved. It took longer to track down the part I needed than to make the repair and hang the tank. Hats off to Carquest. Keep this post in mind if you ever come across a fuel line problem.

Stay safe and take of each other.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts