Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The local transmission place is offering $30 off fuel injector cleaning. I call to see what they do, and they hook up a machine with chemicals that remove the gunk and carbon deposites. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I do it, and if so, will I get anything out of doing it? Its kinda pricey, $100 per car, and if I do it to my TB, the RX gets it as well. Has anyone had any problems or anything like that? They are both at ~51k miles, although my RX is 3 yrs older.

What do ya think??? :undecided

Thanks

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,217 Posts
Services like this are very profitable for those shops. Is it running rough or poorly? SES light coming on? Any reason other than they just recommend doing it? Considering the cost of replacing injectors I would not run anything through them that is not GM approved, and only if there is a problem. If you consistently use a "Top Tier" rated gasoline brand (see http://www.toptiergas.com ) like Chevron, Shell, etc., with enough cleaner and detergent additives already in it from the pump, you will likely not have injector clogging problems. Be sure to check out the section "Deposit Control". I would use that $100 to buy more gas to go down the road. My 3¢.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Tblazed's advice is right on the money. I wouldn't take them up on their offer unless there's a good reason such as rough running, etc. As a preventive maintenance procedure it's going to benefit mostly the shop (more $$ in their pocket). An occasional bottle of injector cleaner will do the trick. I've heard only good things about Chevron Techron, so that's what I use.

And it's nice to finally see someone else who has heard of and believes in Top Tier gas! Seems like everyone I mention this to says something along the lines of "Huh? Gas is gas!" I've been running only Top Tier since I first heard about it.
http://www.gm.com/automotive/fueleconomy/detergent.html

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
tblazed said:
Services like this are very profitable for those shops. Is it running rough or poorly? SES light coming on? Any reason other than they just recommend doing it? Considering the cost of replacing injectors I would not run anything through them that is not GM approved, and only if there is a problem. If you consistently use a "Top Tier" rated gasoline brand (see http://www.toptiergas.com ) like Chevron, Shell, etc., with enough cleaner and detergent additives already in it from the pump, you will likely not have injector clogging problems. Be sure to check out the section "Deposit Control". I would use that $100 to buy more gas to go down the road. My 3¢.
Which will buy a little over a tank of gas these days. I agree with tblazed though. I use a bottle of injector cleaner every 15k miles or so. Gas stations are known to get crap in their gas. I much rather spend a few $$ on injector cleaner than a new injector down the road.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.
No, Im not having problems, just looking into it for mainly my RX because its getting hrrible mileage. Still runs smooth and great, so decieded to buy some Techron today and will put it in tomorrow when I fill up. Also, Im going to clean the TB and the MAF on it and check the tires. Hopefully this will help!

·
Registered
710 Posts
ScarabEpic22 said:
Thanks guys.
No, Im not having problems, just looking into it for mainly my RX because its getting hrrible mileage. Still runs smooth and great, so decieded to buy some Techron today and will put it in tomorrow when I fill up. Also, Im going to clean the TB and the MAF on it and check the tires. Hopefully this will help!
Erik, I didn't know that the 6 cyl. had a MAF, I thought only the 5.3 had a maf. Can you confirm this?

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, in that sentence I am referring to my 99 RX300 3.0 V6. It has a MAF, while the 02-05 TB/ect. with the 4.2L I6 all have IAT. I just finished cleaning mine about 2 hours ago, and it is not a MAF! :D Sorry for the confusion.

EDIT: The 5.3L V8s all have MAFs, forgot to say that earlier!

·
Registered
108 Posts
as a part of our (my dealership) scheduled maintanence, we flush the fuel injectors a minimum of every 30k. sooner if there are running problems. we run a mixture of top-engine cleaner and gasoline through the fuel rail at high pressure for about 30 minutes. this cleans all the carbon and varnish buildup from the injectors. as for aftermarket fuel system treatments, be very careful. there are many out there that can actually damage the seals in the injectors and possibly void the warranty on your fuel system. GM sells a fuel system cleaner that goes into the tank that is comparably priced to the other cleaners. top tier gas is a good way to go, but even that is not perfect. there are always going to be contaminants in any fuel that you buy.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
849 Posts
A good product to use for cleaning out your fuel system is Fuel Power.

All the reading and more regarding it can be found from consumer reviews over at BobIsTheOilGuy.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
I'm going w. the $10 motomaster fuel injector cleaner from canadian tire

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, autotech, would you recommend having my injectors flushed? I have run fuel injector/system cleaner every 2k miles to boost mileage a little, and I talked to the manufacture to make sure it was ok to do so.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
As per GM... clean the injectors only if diagnosis indicates a problem. From October 2002 Techlink: "As with any other Multec 2, cleaning of this system is
not recommended by the manufacturer." Also from Techlink Sept 2001 article Fuel Injector Cleaning "Recent testing of cleaners and the effect they have on fuel injectors has indicated that the art of cleaning injectors has evolved into an entirely new science. Now, it’s recommended that injectors be cleaned only as needed, as determined by using the Strategy Based Diagnosis procedure."

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have read all the information released by GM about flushing the fuel injectors. All I can say is that all of my customers that have the injectors flushed as preventative maintenance never come back with injector issues. GM does not advocate the flushing of injectors as preventative maintenance because they do not want to be responsible if something does get damaged. If you follow the strategy based diagnostics for rough running engine or for a code P0300 Misfire, you will be instructed to perform an injector balance test. If you were to perform this test on an engine with 20k or more miles that runs ok, but has never had the injectors flushed, you will see unbalanced fuel flow. There is a reason it is called preventative maintenance. I must have flushed 1000 vehicles worth of injectors, and I have yet to have an injector fail because of it.

I would say go ahead and have the injectors flushed as long as they are willing to back it up if something fails due to it. It is recommended that you flush the injectors with a mixture of no more than 5-10% top-engine cleaner in gasoline under relatively high pressure (about 75psi). So if the shop that wants to flush out your injectors does not have the proper fuel line shut-off valves and canister necessary to do the job properly, do not let them do it. It may be more expensive, but the dealer will back up their work, and you will be sure that they use the proper chemicals and equipment.

·
Registered
30 Posts
:no: Maybe another good tip is if there is a tanker filling up the station underground tanks, go to another station. A friend told me once that when they are pumping in gas it stirs all the sediment in the tank. I don't know if this is true but it sounds logical :m2:

Good luck to all LAVABOY :yes:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
Dj Perico said:
I thought you just put fuel injection in your gas tank that you dont have to worry about paying a mechanic that much for the fuel cleaner at an autoshop.
That's what i'm gonna do tomorrow. My TB's got 54K and I doubt they've been cleaned before.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
What I do is... monitor the short and long term Fuel Trim with my Carchip EX OBD2 data recorder. If the fuel trim starts going positive, that means the PCM is opening the injectors for a longer time duration to keep the air/fuel ratio correct. An excellent indicator of what is happening before noticeable symptoms develop. The Carchip device I have didn't cost much more than one in-shop fuel injector cleaning.

Only time I ever had an indication there was some clogging starting, I had been consistently using gasoline from Sam's Club which I concluded from the end result had the bare minimum cleaner and detergent additives to meet the EPA rules. One bottle of Chevron Fuel System Cleaner took care of that. Have since used only Shell 87 Top Tier gasoline (with my Shell 5% rebate card.. 5% adds up at 2.75 to $3 a gallon) and the Fuel trim has stayed within a few percent plus-minus zero for over two years now.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Got it at AutoZone think I paid $130 or so. It "lists" for $180 from Davis Instruments the maker, but can be bought for less. Do a search or check on eBay. Last time I looked there was one or two there. If you find a used one you can go to Davis' web site and download the latest software and also update the firmware in the Carchip device to the latest version, free.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts