Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 05 TB LS. The problem I am having is. When the engine is shut off, the fuel gauge needle does not always return to the "E" indicator.

So if lets say the gauge was reading 1/2 and turned of, the needle would stay put. And when restarted the fuel gauge would read the previous 1/2 reading as the "E" and then would make an indication as too the fuel level based on the old reading. So then this would make it look like there is a "F" reading, with only 1/2 a tank of gas.

So then if you drive around and use a 1/4 of the fuel the reading would be 3/4 on the gage, turn off, needle stays put, turn on and then it would read the level and then it would show "F"... I have also had the fuel gauge needle go beyond the "F" making on the gauge, and have the needle pointing all the way down, etc, etc...

But sometimes the fuel gauge needle reports and performs as it should. Some times a method I use to correct the fuel gauge needle is to turn the truck off and on, and then would get the needle to try to reset, and each attempt at turning the truck off and on, would make the needle to slowly return to the proper "E" starting point. But it doesn't always work that way...

So I guess I am asking if anyone has had any similar experiences and or know of a fix for this issue.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,298 Posts
Highest probability is the stepper motor failing.

If it stayed at zero (or dropped to zero while running)and the
fuel warning light came on, then I'd say fuel sender, but the
erratic operation and the failure to return to zero when the
truck is shut off sounds exactly like the way my voltage gauge
behaved before I replaced the stepper motor.

Good Luck!

Chris

1 - 2 of 2 Posts