Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have a 2005 TB . I had the engine service light come on AFTER I made a 10min rest stop midway on a 100 mile ride home. The tank should have been 1/2 full. The light stayed on..but as oil pressure and temp looked ok, and the engine felt smooth and good, I decided not to worry too much and kept going. I assumed it was some emissions related issue (real or false signal, maybe bad gas)..I just hoped it was something that would not ruin the catalytic converter. (The choice was to stop and tow it home 60 miles in the middle of the night.)

Next day after reading the manual I was relieved to see that it could be bad gas, or loose cap...the light had not been blinking so misfiring was not indicated and I was pleased to know that the cat converter had not been ruined. The engine light would sometimes go out. I decided that a fill-up with some other brand of good gas would not be a bad idea. I looked at my gas gauge and did feel a little suprised at how low it was. usually my 100 mile trip would not have used that much..well I thought maybe I left for that trip with less gas than I usually do. I filled up the tank and found that the fuel gauge still showed almost completely empty.

Is this a coincidence? has anyone experienced the Engine Service Light and Erratic/Failing Fuel Gauge at or about the same time. I wonder if it is not a bad wiring harness or connector to the rear tank???

Some additional info on fuel gauge behavior: It will move up to almost half full after I drive a few minutes but if I come to a light and have to stop at idle the needle will drop and even the low fuel light and bell may come on. Once I get moving again it will drift up a bit...

Any similar experience? Help and information would be greatly appreciated.

My 2005TB ext has 42000 and this is the very first issue I have had.

jesse

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
lately theres been issues with the sulfir content in gas and how it affects the fuel gauge.
The sulfur builds up on the sensor surface. Think of it as a resistor that measures resistance. the buildup occurs on the surface and the resistance cant be read correctly, and you get symptoms that you describe.

Chevrons TECHRON- in a bottle- now says it helps keep the sensor clean to avoid this condition.
I would run a bottle or 2 of Techron and see it it helps any.

see this page... it mentions how it helps with sulfur and helps keep gas gauges from malfunctioning.
http://www.chevron.com/products/ourfuels/prodserv/additives/tcp.aspx

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
36 Posts
I had a similar situation happen to me last year. My tank was about 1/8 full so I stopped and filled up. When I started my truck, the fuel gauge would not go above empty, the service engine light came on and the low fuel warning kept alarming. I had to be somewhere and I didn't think it was anything major, so I took a chance on driving it. I drove it to my destination and shut it down. When I started it up again, the service engine light went off. The gauge then started to slowly creep up and down on my ride home.

I read the manual as you did and determined that running at least a full tank or two of good gas through it may fix it. Once I did that, when I filled up, the gauge would read empty until I got to around 3/4 tank at which point it would work properly until around 1/4 tank of gas when it would go right back down to empty. :weird:

It did this for a couple of tanks so I took it to the dealer. The dealer replaced my fuel level sender unit that is located in the gas tank. Kaching! $$$ :eek: I wish I would have known to have them replace the fuel filter that is also located in the tank while they had the tank lowered.

Lucky I am still under waranty and it was replaced free of charge. :woot::woohoo::woot:

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
swartlkk- I read that the GM fuel system cleaner IS Techron.
simply relabeled in a GM bottle......

·
Registered
2004 chevy
191 Posts
The cleaner yes, but the treatment too? There are two different ones available. The treatment is specifically for the sulfur (I think its sulfur) deposit problem.

*EDIT* to include the TSB...

Here's what I just found:
Fuel System - GM Fuel System Treatment Plus(R)

Bulletin No.: 05-00-89-078A

Date: September 14, 2006

INFORMATION
Subject:
GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, Fuel Sending Unit Corrosion and Fuel System Deposits

Models:
2007 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn)
2003-2007 HUMMER H2
2006-2007 HUMMER H3
2005-2007 Saab 9-7X

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add additional model years and update information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-00-89-078 (Section 00 - General Information).

The GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is not recommended for use with diesel fuel. The GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is specially formulated for use in gasoline and/or E85 fuels.

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, P/N 88861011 (for U.S. ACDelco(R), use 88861013) (in Canada, 88861012), is now available for use in gasoline engines.

Added Benefits and Uses

The PLUS portion of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is the addition of a filmer additive that, when used regularly, can protect fuel system sending units from the corrosive effects of certain sulfur contaminants found in some of today's gasoline.

Sulfur contamination can disrupt electrical continuity of certain fuel sending units and lead to erratic or false fuel gauge readings. With scheduled usage, GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS protects against the effects of harmful sulfurs in gasoline.

The Four Benefits

Just pour in one bottle of the GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS into the fuel tank when refueling around each oil change interval:

Cleans - Sulfur corrosion from fuel gauge sending units.

Prevents - Harmful sulfur components from attacking sensitive fuel system electronics.

Protects - By coating metallic surfaces of the fuel system.

Removes - Engine deposits left from use of poor quality fuels.

NOTE: The interval for using this cleaner is NOW 3000 miles, NOT 1500.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,497 Posts
It did this for a couple of tanks so I took it to the dealer. The dealer replaced my fuel level sender unit that is located in the gas tank. Kaching! $$$ :eek: I wish I would have known to have them replace the fuel filter that is also located in the tank while they had the tank lowered.
The fuel sender assembly includes the strainer (filter) :thumbsup:

Would be nice if the rest of the country would share the top tier fuel with those of us in NY... I have yet to see a station listed on the TopTierGas.com retailers list anywhere near me!
Down here (LI), the only top tiers we see are Shell...I'm surprised you don't have any by you

·
Registered
2004 chevy
191 Posts
Best we have are Mobil & Sunoco. I'm not sure what Wal-Mart, BJ's, or Kinney Drugs use for their supplier, but my Rainier doesn't agree with any of them (poor mileage). Not to drag this thread too far off topic, but I always put 2-3 tanks of fuel from each source through each of my vehicles and compare the last tanks mileage (hand calculated). I got the best mileage from Sunoco. A bit lower from Mobil. The worst was Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BP-arco

First, thanks to all who had some info on this.

I will be trying the additive (Techron) for the next two tank fill-ups. Also when I did fill up right after I had the engine light came on, I filled up at Chevron. And it was as I pulled out of the Chevron station that I first noticed the fuel gauge issue. I was only filling up to hopefully cure the engine light issue...talk about co-incidence??

As to top tier suppliers: Here in CA we have ARCO, besides several others, which I believe is owned by BP (British Petroleum). I though that BP was on the Top-Tier list. Does anyone know if ARCO is? That is what I had been using...

Thanks again.

jesse

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
hmmm, I wasnt aware GM had 2 fuel treatment options. I was only aware of the one that is essentially Techron.
Im here in SoCal. And ever since Ive had by Trailblazer- Ive used ARCO. Id say that for 111,000 miles, 95% of the fuel I used was ARCO.
Ive never had any fuel related issues. I also tend to let my tank go all the way down to the light coming on, (which I know isnt recommended) but im a bit obsessive with seeing the mileage per tankful:bonk:
Anyways... ARCO to my knowledge is NOT top tier rated. But ever since Ive owned it, every 6-10,000 miles I pour a bottle of techron.
In the last few months....I stopped using ARCO.... not because it was bad- but because I now use my Credit card for everything (I want the points).
And ARCO does not have pay at the pump credit card thingy like Chevron and Shell do. Arco has that little island- but using credit cards you need a pin... and anyways. here in so cal, ARCO stations are notorious for CC scamming devices...

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
heres the info on top tier...
http://www.toptiergas.com/

The only one Ive used is Techron. But I think the dealers also use seafoam.
I believe on that website. will show if theres stations close to you, or at least makes that are top tier qualified.

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers

Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.

Additional gasoline retailers are added to the TOP TIER list as they meet the standards. The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Shell-Canada
Texaco
Petro-Canada
Sunoco-Canada

·
Registered
48 Posts
heres the info on top tier...
http://www.toptiergas.com/

The only one Ive used is Techron. But I think the dealers also use seafoam.
I believe on that website. will show if theres stations close to you, or at least makes that are top tier qualified.

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers

Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.

Additional gasoline retailers are added to the TOP TIER list as they meet the standards. The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum