Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...I have a question and need your help. Jacked up the front end and grabbed on to the tire front and back. I could move the tire side to side a little bit. Grabbed the top and bottom of tire and could not move it in or out. What suspension part is worn that would cause the movement in and out when you grab the front and back of tire? Tie rod? upper or lower or both?

How hard to fix?

Thanks,

Shane

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Almost certainly the outer tie rod ends (there is no upper and lower except for ball joints). About $60 each from rockauto. You should be able to see the end joint move back and forth for confirmation. I changed mine at 70K. Be careful about the toe-in adjustment when you thread the new ones in, and take it for an alignment right away.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks roadie.

(goofed on the upper lower thing. Will replacing these help with steering wheel feeling loose (too much play) or am I looking at additional suspension parts to correct that? It feels like it...for lack of a better description that the tires are oval vs. circluar when you are going slow and cutting the wheel either way. (Lame way of describing the feel, but can't really put it into words), it rolls weird, not huge, just a little looseness feeling:crazy:

Shane

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
No way to guarantee that's all you have loose, but after 70K miles of often horrific offroad abuse, that's all I had to change. Many web sites describe how to inspect suspension parts, so I won't write a redundant tutorial here. How many miles do you have? You might also be noticing the crappy shocks. They start out poor (IMHO) and only deteriorate over time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:(:(:(Should the rotor move side to side or at all with the tire off? I understand that it should move through the caliper, but not be loose at all right? Could it be wheel bearing going bad? Not grinding noise at all. It just felt really loose without the tire on, I thought I would put tire on and tighten lug nuts and see if the tire moved and it does, just side to side, not up and down..hoping its' just the tie rod end:(

Shane

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
The rotor will have some play in it without the tire mounted if the caliper is piston is pushed in. You can try tightening the lug nuts to the rotor without the wheel. If there is still side to side movement of the rotor, it is possible the bearing is going.:m2:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys. I didn't hear what others have described as grinding noise that often is associated with a bearing. I swear everytime I research something on here I end up having that problem, I just kind of look around at all the posts, and wham...now I think my thermostat is going as the temp that always held right at 210 is a couple hash marks below, off topic but I was looking at the posts on the hub assemblies and e bay costs, I hope it is the tie rod ends, as that looks like an easier job, but my luck it will be both the hub bearing and the tie rod ends....140,000 miles so I should stop whinning now:x

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
....140,000 miles so I should stop whinning now:x
Ummmm, yes. :cry: If you had been putting only a nickel per mile into the "save for maintenance" jar, you'd have $7000 saved up by now.

Even if you spend a penny a mile for maintenance, that's no more than 5-10% of what it costs for fuel, so I always try to put it in perspective. I could have had a Prius, but it would not have fulfilled the mission I had to have the Envoy for.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
434 Posts
Costs are not so much different between hub and tie rod.

Tie rod $70-$90 plus alignment - 4 wheel $80 total $150-$170

Hub $90 - $200 depending on where you buy it from.

Just plan on spending $200, anything less and you saved money !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts