Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum! I need some insight on a noise i have comming from the front of the tb, while i am driving. It sounds like bad tire road noise and someone told me it might be a wheel bearing. I jacked up the front end and checked and the wheel has no play in it at all both sides.i just had the tires rotated about 3000 miles ago. Im running firehawks by firestone.Is there some other non evasive test that i can try? I hate to spend the money for the bearings and dont need them. Im old school and i didnt even know that the whole hub had to be replaced.:bonk:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
721 Posts
Check out this thread.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=38688

And the thread cited in that thread.

The typical test is to drive along, about 25-35, listening carefully. Then turn the wheel slightly to the left. Did the noise change?

Then let it go straight, and turn it slightly to the right. Did the noise change?

What you are doing is loading up the bearing opposite the direction of the turn. If the noise gets worse when you turn left, then the right bearing is bad. If it stays the same, or gets less when you turn right, you have confirmed the source of the problem.

As I have said before, be American, buy American. Don't buy a cheap imported bearing. We need to protect our industry, and our workers. Sending our money overseas will just make our economy, and our future, worse.

I'll get off the soap box now.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
450 Posts
Also, if you do have to replace them you might need to use a gear puller. I ended up renting one at Murray's. It was rusted on pretty good.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wheel bearing noise

the noise starts when i go over 30mph, you dont really hear anything below 30, just before i come to a stop, you can really hear it?:confused:

·
Registered
721 Posts
Do the "slight turn" test, and report back with the results. Do it when the noise starts, and do it when you are just coming to a stop.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wheel bearing

I tried the test and no change to the noise. so im gonna take off the tire and caliper and turn the rotor by hand to see if there is any resistance etc.:thx

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Before you do anything to the caliper, spin the rotor by hand with the tire off . See if there is any grinding noise. Then if you just pry the caliper away from the rotor so it isn't touching, it'll save time and work of putting it back together until you get the parts you need. This is assuming you need the truck until you get parts. It's late so I'm hoping I'm making sense.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wheel bearing noise

Thx for the replys. i hear no grinding noise by turning the rotor. I noticed that when i turned the rotor, it seemed to be out of round. i have slotted rotors. i hate to buy the hub and its something else.i know you cant turn the slotted rotors, but im going to put the oems back on to see if maybe its the rotors.:crazy:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
13 Posts
Front wheel noise

I had the same front end whine, which sounded like road noice or a bad tire. Called the shop and they said it was probably a tire going bad/seperating. However my kid said that he thought it was a wheel hub, since his Oldsmobile had a similar issue and the hub eliminated it. So, I tore it down and being old school, checked everything out and it appeared fine. They're sure not like the old wheel bearings are they.

Anyway, let it go and it kept getting louder and louder. So, I found this sight on the net, and everything I was reading indicated that it was the wheel hub on my 2004 Trail Blazer. So, I checked the prices at the local parts stores and found that they were anywhere from $189 -257 for a good Timken hub.

Then I read on the this sight that I should check out the web for parts because some of them are less expensive and the same parts you buy at the locale stores, so I did. I found some real inexpensive ones, but they only had 5 studs, mine has 6 studs, but the Timken replacement was $178 a $79 savings.

Changed it out and loo and behold, the noise is gone!

I only changed out the problem one, so the other side will have to be changed out shortly I'm sure, so if anyone can give me some sights for less expensive parts, I'd be greatful.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
35 Posts
Hey Peaches, welcome to the forum! My 2003 Trailblazer needs wheel hub bearings very soon, and I was curious where you purchased your Timken hubs for $178? AutoZone sells the Timken wheel hub bearing assy. for $207. There are cheaper wheel hubs available on eBay, but other members who purchased them said they didn't last. Have a nice day. :)

Dave

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wheel bearings

hey dudes! i replaced both hubs and still have the same noise. i noticed when i had the tires off, that the inside of the tires on both sides where worn or cupped. i think i learned an expensive lesson.bummer:bonk:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
26 Posts
Rockauto.com has the Timken for 173 plus shipping. I cant decide if I want those or AC Delco parts.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I opted for the AC Delco from Rock Auto for my old 03 Envoy. Spent the extra money, and it was functionally fine, and the truck was nice and quiet when I was done. BUT, the antilock wiring connector didn't match what was on the truck, so I had to swap the old wiring onto the new hub. Not a big job, but an annoyance.

Given that experience, I'll probably try the Timken's next time.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
388 Posts
My front wheel bearing went in my trailvoy and i got a new one from NAPA Autoparts for $130 dollers, thats complete with studs, ABS Sensor + Harness, everything needed and it has a 1 year warranty if it were to fail u can just exchange it out

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wheel bearing noise

Well guys, it wasnt the bearings after all. my tires were worn on the inside tread and was cupping. I dont get it because i rotate my tires every 3000 miles and my last alignment check was good. Oh well a expensive lesson learned. Now i have new bearings, but will need new tires soon..I run firehawks on the tb.Switching to a better tire.Fyi, i did rotate them again and the noise is gone till they wear down again..:bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wheel bearing

I have 76000 on the tb and last year i put kybs on the rear with a new set of lowering springs. the front struts seem to be ok. no bounce etc..:thx

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Putting lowering springs on the back would change the caster angle of the front tires. I don't think it would cause tire cupping, but? Cupping is usually associated with loose front end. Maybe worn tie rod ends.:m2:

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
Is this noise everyone is referring to similar to unbalanced tires? Is it just noise or pulsing? My 2002 LTZ is starting to pulse/slight vibration in the steering wheel at speeds greater that 50 MPH. Could this just be unbalanced tires? Took it to Wal-Mart to get tires balanced, but the TB was too low for their lifts:suicide:(All I have on is Eibachs). Anyways, taking it to Discout Tire to get them balanced tomorrow and hope it fixes the issue. Just wanted to know what else to look for if balancing the tires doesn't do it.:worried:

1 - 20 of 74 Posts