Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people,

I used this forum website to help solve my wheel bearing problem, and thought I would put my own post up in case it helps anyone as well in the future. Plus I wanted to say thanks to the other posters!

I have an 06 extended 4WD trailblazer with 66,000 miles on it. Started noticing some wheel noise, or growling, but not terribly loud. I've had wheel bearings go bad in the past on other vehicles - this seemed a little different, almost like tire noise. Anyway noise started getting progressively worse, but not too bad, and I noticed that when I turned left, the noise got quieter. (= bad front left bearing). I was able to confirm this by driving straight down the road, and then turning slightly left or right. As other posters stated before, if the noise gets quiet in the direction you turn, that is your bad bearing because the load is taken off of the bearing somewhat.

Replacing the bearing was actually a pretty easy job, probably because my vehicle is only about 3.5 yrs old!!!

When I got to removing the bolts that hold the bearing assembly on (3 of them), I was somewhat concerned about the force required to "unscrew" them (after the initial loosening) , and got around that by putting some penetrating oil on them, and then alternating tightening and loosening until the bolts were out. Not too sure about the quality of todays parts I guess.
Interestingly, when I had the wheel jacked up, it seemed perfectly fine when turned by hand. Also, I could have sworn that the inner bearing (the one I didn't change), was making noise as well, enough so that I was fairly convinced that when I put everything back together again I was still going to have noise. However, once the new bearing was installed and I drove the vehicle, all quiet!!

Very discouraging to have a wheel bearing go bad so fast like this! WTF. Not only that, but I had to change a tie rod at 38,000 miles...

Anyhow, thanks again everyone!:)

-Jerry

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
17 Posts
I'll be replacing me front left today after work. I had the right side go about 4-5 weeks ago, so I knew i better replace the left before it goes as well. I have 108k on my '02 Envoy, so they lasted a little while!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
You were lucky. They have been known to go bad at 37,000.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=54529

Not sure what the record is, but 37,000 has got to be pretty close. They should go 150k-200k.
the bearing jobs that come in to myshop have never had more than 80K. All different makes and models too.

Mine are still good @97K and I've been lowered for 3 yrs now (some say that kills steering/suspension)

·
Registered
8 Posts
front wheel bearing

Hi, Is this something I can do myself? My 02 envoy xl (67000 miles) sounds like I have offroad tires on it. It gets worse when I turn to the right. Wheel bearing problem? On a scale of 1 to 10 how hard is this job? I just put in a new fan clutch last month. Who makes quality replacements and where can I buy them?
Thanks,:) Stingray

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,461 Posts
On a scale of 1 to 10 how hard is this job?
From what I could see when a buddy was doing mine for me on my 2002 with 84,000 miles i'd say I would rate it a difficulty of 6. It is just time consuming,(a good solid hour) especially with older rides that have more rust on them. Have to buff all of it off before replacing with the new one to ensure that it is aligned right. I got mine at a advance auto parts store for $280ish. I believe it was a timken brand with a one year warranty on it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure how to rate it from 1 to 10, but it was easier than I expected if that helps. I think if you can change your own pads/rotors, you can certainly handle this.

I don't know where to buy quality parts anymore. I ended up getting mine from carquest, which said Timken on it, 1 year warranty, and also said made in china, for $149. I used to always buy parts from NAPA but don't think so much of them now.

-Jerry

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
17 Posts
I had no issues come up when I changed mine out. Biggest part for me was trying to get the old hub off of the spindle since it had so much corrosion present. I too went with Timken, (but i paid $199!! Wish i went to your store jerry!!) and it drives like a new car. Definitely worth the time and effort to save a couple $$ imo.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I don't know if my hub was just one made for Timken by someone else, you know? So maybe I got what I paid for, who knows. Even then I could have bought one off of ebay for half of what I paid...it seems like it's all a crap shoot nowadays.

I did not have a brass drift when I did mine, still trying to find one of those, maybe sears has one. I ended up using a piece of 2x4.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
seems that terrain helps in prolonging life. So cal has less potholes than the east coast...
Im still on factory units- now nearing 143,000

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
4 Posts
wheel bearing

i have a 2004 lt with 73000 on it. i have put 4 of these on since it hit 60k. one gm wheel bearing, two auto zone, and one ebay..............they all are junk. gm needs to step up and recall the piece of sheets and do something about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
62 Posts
Reasonable Wheel Hub Assembly

Well. I must agree its horrible finding quality parts. But shamefully its not just parts. I am convinced its the quality of people. well. anyhow I found a site that sells AMERICAN made hubs(so they claim) for 129.00+s&h.
ok..hope this helps someone www.mibearings.com you may searching our part# which is 513188. If anyone orders please post experience.

Good Job all..
:grouphug:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,082 Posts
I just put on a Timken on friday. I agree with earlier poster if you can change your brakes then you can do this. It is a lifetime bearing and was 200 dollars. The local stealership wanted 500 total to do the job. 400 for the bearing assembly alone.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wheel Hubs

Ok. I finally received my wheel hubs from above stated site and they seem very good. anyhow, I installed them and took truck for a ride and the sound that it was making at above 40mph seem to have gone away. I will test it again tomorrow at higher speed and tune my ear to any noise. Hummm... Well, I only replaced the passenger side since that was the culprit. The driver is still the OEM and seems ok..

Complete Job Time: approx 60mins per side
Differculty rating: 4 (10=Not worth it)

Any ques please ask... I have pics but cant seem to put them up. I think I must lower the megapixel on the camera..
:)

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
17 Posts
Looks like I'll be replacing a wheel bearing on my 2004 TB, 2WD. I've never did one before. Does anyone know if there is someplace I can go for instructions/pics.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Run a search here. With 2WD it's easy. Take off the wheel, brake caliper and the rotor. Three bolts from the inside and the hub comes out. Then deal with the ABS sensor harness and one electrical connector. Easier than a brake job.

4WD and you have to remove the CV shaft nut to get the hub out. Here's a pic showing my 4WD with the hub removed. Note the three bolt holes. Spray PB Blaster on them the day before if you're in a salt/rust prone area.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey

well. Dlew133,
Its not hard just a little time and focus and you should be ok. I ordered mine from MIBEARINGS.com and they are premium hubs. made in the USA.. unlike those chinese things.. Hopefully they will last...

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
17 Posts
Thanks guys. I'll be ordering the wheelhub from Mibearings. Hopefully the project goes smoothly.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Noise

Oh,my
I dont understand this truck... I replaced the passenger wheel bearing and now I seem to get this noise when I am turning left. Its almost like a grinding noise. but only happens when I turn the wheel all the way to the left.. Any ideas anyone???:duh:

1 - 20 of 83 Posts