Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an '02 LTZ

Just did a metric ton of front end work, replaced everything. Control arms, sway bar links, bushings, wheel bearings, struts, shocks, rear coils, rear links, rear axle shaft, brakes and much much more.

I noticed when we were installing the upper ball joint when we'd use the puller to install the joint upon installation through the hole of the knuckle, it would tear the boot of the ball joint. I noticed this when I went to grease the ball joint and it all just came back out where it had torn (all around the bottom). I thought I could just buy another boot but nope, another joint was cheaper and easier to get. Tried installing number 2 with grease on the rubber this time and still tore all around the bottom.

What am I doing wrong?! New joints ain't gonna last long with the boot torn like that. I pumped em extra full of grease to try and keep dirt out for now. Drives like a dream but this is concerning.

Another thing is I have a POP sound whenever I turn the steering wheel and the weight of the truck shifts over. I can turn the wheel right-left-right-left quickly and it'll just pop-pop-pop it definitely sounds metallic and is coming from either the rear end or the front pass wheel. Sounds like it's coming from the rear but when I shake the truck the sound comes from the front wheel. What could this be? I checked the lug-nuts and they're good. I just want to drive the darn thing now :cry:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
10 Posts
Hey. Did the vehicle make the popping sound prior to changing all the front end parts? Also, did you use low grade replacement wheel bearings? A couple guys on here have had major frame/chassis rust which caused control arm mounts to break. I'm just throwing that out there. (??) Maybe you can get under it while it's off and parked and have someone bounce the vehicle up and down to see if you hear or see anything suspicious.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It did not make the popping sound BUUT I do distinctly remember the bolts holding the bottom control arms on are insanely rusty. The truck has been in AZ all it's life so zero rust under it just those bolts. Water must collect there or something. It started popping about 3 days after getting it back from the alignment shop. I'll crawl under and see what's making all the racket.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
10 Posts
Hi. If you think it may be your rear diff. they have a drain plug so you can drain it without taking the cover off. Since you're investing so much time and money you could drain it and check for metal shavings (if the magnet didn't grab them) or sludge to hopefully rule that out from making the noise. Walmart sells some cheap, full synthetic gear lube and you'll need 1.9 l or about 2 quarts.If your diff fluid is low I suppose you could have a bad rear wheel bearing but that seems pretty unlikely to me. But you should probably at least check the fluid level through the upper fill hole. They say to make sure to remove it or break it loose before you drain the diff fluid to make sure you can have a way to refill the diff after draining.
You know, the battery sits right above those control arms so I bet some acid leaked down onto your control arms. That will rust them out like you said, since they don't use road salt in AZ. That happened to me.
I've never changed an upper balljoint so I don't know what to tell you on that. There's a poster on here that was posting links to all of the Trailblazer/Envoy service manuals. Maybe they could help you. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts