Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 TB 4x4. According to the build sheet it has the front trailer wiring option. Anyone have an idea where to find it? I plan on towing my TB behind my motorhome and was just curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
31 Posts
Thats something new to me. Didnt know you could get that from the factory.
On the other hand, could it be possible to use the 7pin plug on the back to plug into and power the lights from your tow vehicle? Of course you would have to run a wiring pigtail under your vehicle or through the front door and out the back hatch to the plug. Not sure if you would have to disconnect the battery maybe???

Gives me the idea of making a tail light bar that could slide into your rear hitch with lights on each end. Run a pig tail under vehicle with a plug on each end so you can remove it easy when not being towed.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For now I'm going to tow dolly it. But later on I want to flat tow it. Yea the dollys got lights..

Just was merely curious as to where the front connector was.. According to the rpo code there is a 4 pin connector up there.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
31 Posts
Did you find the front plug? What is the built code for it that you have?
The dealer might be able to tell you where its at? If you find it, make sure you report back on here and post photo of it as others might want to know.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found my vin decode of my TB. The RPO code is UY7. Trailer wiring, 7 wire, 2 lead front harness. , 5 lead rear harness, 7 wire trl harness.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
31 Posts
Did a little looking around online and I dont think the "2 wire front" is a plug to use for towing the vehicle. Sounds like it is refering to the wires for a brake controller and the always hot wire for trailer aux.
Heres what I found.
The '2 wire front' consists of the terminals at the
underhood fuse box for +12V to the trailer aux. circuit and +12V to the trailer brake wiring under the
dash.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
It would need a 5wire connector to be towed, along with diodes tapped into the taillights and with as much as the TB weights you would be wise to use the TB brakes with a brake buddy or another brand brake actuator. I used to do installs for tow vehicles as an RV tech., although usually on smaller tow vehicles, it is always best to use the tow cars own brakes to save the RV's. Check with the dealer also to see what they recommend as far as trans cycling and fuse pulling for long tows. Some transmissions cannot handle being towed for long hauls often without damage. I am not sure about the TB trans. Some tell you to start the engine and cycle the trans in a certain order after so many hours of tow etc. because they may not be lubricated the same as when running.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts