Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one know how to determine what size sway bar I have in the front or how to measure it? I want to replace the front sway bar bushings. 2002 LTZ 4X4. Called dealer already with VIN, they don't know jack.:hopelessOreily's has a 1.72" bar Moog bushing or a 1.8".

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
In '02, they really only used one front sway bar, however it was an odd size (42.5mm) and is referred to as 42 or 43mm, depending upon the resource you're looking at. You want a 42mm bushing, it will compress when you tighten up the bolts.....Auto-Zone sells them, in addition to the dealer. (They're actually pretty cheap to buy in the original rubber and Energy Suspension makes a poly bushing also sourced to Hotchkis for their kit).

You measure side to side, if you want to measure your bar without a caliper. Place the ruler on the back side, line up one edge with 0 and read the where the other side at the point you can see looking head on. With a caliper, you crack it or allow the spring load to grab the widest point and read the gage. (Should be 42.5mm for an '02).

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. A 43mm is closer to 1.69"
Thank you sir. I went and got the bigger bushing and found out that it had a slight gap. Have to return it tomorrow and get the one for the 1.72" bar. Wish I would have read your post first. :suicide:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
63 Posts
Anyone know what size sway bar bushings would be on my 2003 Trailblazer LS? Thanks

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Reread posts #1 and#2. There are different sizes. You need to measure yours.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't have a mic, and trying to measure the bar with a tape or ruler, and tell the difference between 1.72" and 1.8" is nearly impossible. I found the GM P/N on the bar, it is 15167261. Can anyone tell me what size bar this is? I want to order the Moog bushings and links online, and want to make sure I get the right ones. Thanks:bonk:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
211 Posts
get a thin strip of paper and a pencil. Crawl under there and measure the circumference- mark on the paper and measure. divide that number by pi (3.142) and that will give you the size diameter you need.

Diameter=circumference/3.142

and my 10th grade geometry teacher said I would not amount to anything!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the info !! I probably learned that at some point, but forgot it long ago !!:thx

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
And if the difference is still too small to measure accurately with one wrap-around, you can take string and wrap it ten times (not overlapping) to amplify the difference. Then just divide by 31.4 instead of 3.14.

·
Registered
2009 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
3 Posts
You can also take an open-ended adjustable wrench, like a Crescent wrench, and open it until it fits around the the bar around where the bushing will be. Slide it off and measure it with your tape measure, ruler, etc. The distance between the wrench paws is the O.D. of your bar,

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
11 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread:eek:, but does anyone have the torque values for the bolts that hold the bracket for the sway bar bushings? thanks.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
17 Posts
So did you find out that it is the 1.72 " bushing then? I am not going to be able to get under the car again for a couple days but want to order them on line since I am ordering the stabilizer links. Man are those things loose.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I ended up not changing the bushings. I changed the links, without dropping the bar, and left the bushings alone as they appear to be OK. Sorry, I can't be more help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts