Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new to this site and not sure how to get information. I have a 2005 trailblazer LS 4X4. went to get it aligned and was told I needed to replace the struts. are the struts and shocks the same thing, what brand of part should I use, is there a brand to stay away from? is this a hard job, looks like the spring will have to come out is there a reason to replace them too?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
Shocks / struts are recommended by most places @ 50K. It's the same concept as an oil change. To keep the truck handling the way it should (even though the stock stuff sucks)

Difficult no, time consuming yes. It's easier to refer to the front shocks as struts just because they are an assembly but they do the same thing.

As to why they need to be replaced I would ask the shop for their verdict. Did the algin it anyway?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
33 Posts
I was able to replace mine and lower it in less than 1.5 hours. It is not hard at all. I would get the TBSS struts if your not that performance oriented. If you want a solid ride, Bilstein HDs. And yes they should be replaced around 100k

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shocks / struts are recommended by most places @ 50K. It's the same concept as an oil change. To keep the truck handling the way it should (even though the stock stuff sucks)

Difficult no, time consuming yes. It's easier to refer to the front shocks as struts just because they are an assembly but they do the same thing.

As to why they need to be replaced I would ask the shop for their verdict. Did the algin it anyway?
no just said to get them replaced before they aligned it.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
new to this site and not sure how to get information. I have a 2005 trailblazer LS 4X4. went to get it aligned and was told I needed to replace the struts. are the struts and shocks the same thing, what brand of part should I use, is there a brand to stay away from? is this a hard job, looks like the spring will have to come out is there a reason to replace them too?
Not a hard job BUT, you need a spring compressor and you can get hurt if you are not careful. Or you can remove the strut/shock assembly and take it to a mechanic for disassembly and reassembly. Then take it home and put it back in the truck.:m2:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The top is in the normal size range, like 13 or 15mm. The lower is 21. And you'll need a pittman arm puller if you've been reading any of my posts from the last 4 years. Are you short on tools? Just buying the single wrench or socket you need for this one job is poor economics IME.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3 Posts
The top is in the normal size range, like 13 or 15mm. The lower is 21. And you'll need a pittman arm puller if you've been reading any of my posts from the last 4 years. Are you short on tools? Just buying the single wrench or socket you need for this one job is poor economics IME.
I think I have all the tools. I've got all the metric sizes through 23 and a 2-jaw puller. Hope that will work in place of the pittman arm puller. Also have a spring compressor I inherited from somewhere... Thanks Roadie

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
346 Posts
Also have a spring compressor I inherited from somewhere...
I hope it's beefy, these springs are petty tough. If it's suspect, it could be in your best interest to rent a set to have on hand just in case. You don't want to trust this job to cheap/weak tools!

And I'll confirm, a 15/16" works just as well as a 24mm for the control arm bolt.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
64 Posts
I just replaced my rear shocks today. I got some good advice on this site about rear shock replacement that made this easier and now I'm looking to do the same on the front.

I have 185,000 miles, are the springs still good.? When should springs be replaced.?

I assume the hardest part of replacing the front shocks is removing the springs... Is there anything I should know about removing the spring.? Any suggestion on a tool to use to remove the spring.? What type of spring compressor is best and best place to position it and use it.? Any process or procedure that make this easier.?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
346 Posts
Is there any one with a general process on how to change the struts?
I have done it before on a front wheel carl
It's about the same process as a FWD car, only the springs on the TB are MUCH stiffer.

I have 185,000 miles, are the springs still good.? When should springs be replaced.?

I assume the hardest part of replacing the front shocks is removing the springs... Is there anything I should know about removing the spring.? Any suggestion on a tool to use to remove the spring.? What type of spring compressor is best and best place to position it and use it.? Any process or procedure that make this easier.?
You springs are probably a little saggy, but I don't know that I'd go replacing them unless you find a good deal on a lightly used OEM set. Check eBay.

Yes, the hardest part is removing the springs. I used rented compressors from an auto parts store, but I also have an impact to compress/decompress quickly. A lot of folks on here use hand tools (yeesh!) to do theirs and while dedicated, I personally would just pay $20 for a shop to swap them on their wall-mount compressor before I'd do it with hand tools.

Search around, there are several threads with pictures and instructions. For reference also check out this link. They do extra unnecessary work like removing the upper ball joint, so it's not a perfect writeup but good for reference.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
604 Posts
If u replacing the struts u may want to look at the upper strut mounts and see how they are.

When I replaced the upper strut mounts on my truck I used Monroe's and the strut mounts nuts were 15mm.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.