Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody ever change there own front shocks? have a 2002 envoy and the left front is definately gone. fluid running down and the bounce test confirms it. what kind of special tools if any do i need?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
just some wrenches sockets allen wrenches and most important tool a pickle fork or a yoke puller the yoke puller never worked for me so i used a pickle fork and the bottom strut mount POPPED right off easy peezy japoneasy

if there is anymore parts you need to have someone will chime in im sure

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Many folks swear by the BFH whacking tactic, some the pickle fork, and I'm a big fan of the Pittman arm puller to get the bottom yoke mount off.

Run a search and read up on the many threads discussing the project.

But the critical tool you will have to rent or buy, and the more robust the better, is a spring compressor. Don't underestimate the strength of what you're going to need - this heavy SUV has a much stiffer spring than any Civic. And it's DANGEROUS. Consult an experienced friend before you do this, or just remove the struts and take them to a shop to swap the shocks out. And spray everything starting a few days in advance with PB Blaster, especially the shock's top nut.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nice pics!! thanks for the advice. i do have access to tools but don't know if i want to tackle this project with the short window of time i have to get it done. might have to hand if off to the local shop.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
63 Posts
I just changed mine and I'm very inexperienced. If I can get the tools and the advice then I usually try it myself anyway. I'm lucky though and work on a Navy base and have access to a shop with rentable stalls with lifts. They also have a strut machine there that makes it worlds easier.

I also replaced the strut mounts just to be safe rather than sorry. :thumbsup:

I would suggest what everyone else said and pay to get it swapped, especially if you're in a hurry.

If you're going to remove the strut yourself and use a pickle fork, leave the upper strut mount nuts tight while attempting to get the yoke off the lower control arm bolt. It made it easier to get off when I did it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just a follow up. first want to say thanks for the heads up on what tools and what to expect.:thumbsup: just finished the test drive after installing both sides. took about an hour per side. guess i got myself a bit over concerned about having it finished so the wife could get to work with her own vehicle.:thx

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad to help. WOW! :eek: You're in one of those salt-using states!

Didn't you have trouble with the shock rod corroding into the upper rubber mount sleeve? Or the nut?
i think i got lucky. the nut came off easy with a little wire brush action and some lube. the hardest part was removing the shock from the link to goes to the lower control arm that uses a pinch bolt. that still wasn't too bad. the wife was all happy when i had finished the bad side and was totally surprised when i told her that i was only half done. tried to explain the fact about having to change both sides.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice job macmic!! I just did mine about 8 months ago. Not too bad right?
thanks. i bit uncomfortable using the spring compressor, but i figure that if one nut on a 3/8 threaded rod can hold it, i should be able to do it. i thought for sure that getting them removed from the car would be the hard part. i was right, but it didn't take as long as i thought. i tries with the pitman arm puller, that didn't get a good "bite". so it was off to the pickle fork and large hammer technique.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
154 Posts
just did mine get the quick struts easy just take the old ones off and bolt up the new ones thats all it takes pretty much. also did the sway bar links tie rods and rear sway links and shocks along with new calipers and rotors

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
330 Posts
+1 on being careful.. I broke 3 of that type of spring compressor trying to compress the springs. (mac tools and harbor freight) Ended up using an on-the-wall compressor. I also used the pickle fork and hammer to remove the lower arm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am still a little unclear on the exact steps to get them off the shock tower. I tried taking the driver's side off the other night, but it didn't seem to matter what I did, that spring was loaded against the pitman arm bolt. Do you need to put the compressor on before removing the nut off the top of the strut itself? Is it necessary to repalce the mounts when I replace the shocks(133,000 mi)? Does anyone have a kit no. for that compressor in the picture? They gave me the wrong one at Advance Auto the other day.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts