Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed a front receiver hitch with the stock bumper?

I was thinking that that would be something really nice to have, since I could have a hitch mounted winch or install other things.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cousin owns transmission repair shop and loves it when people come to him with a front towing ball on the front of the vehicle. Looks at shakes his head as he say trannys are not made to pull heavy objects in reverse.He warranties his work for 1 year as long as they tyreat it right. NO PULLING BOATS OUT OF THE LAKE IN REVERSE!!!!:duh:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,335 Posts
Cousin owns transmission repair shop and loves it when people come to him with a front towing ball on the front of the vehicle. Looks at shakes his head as he say trannys are not made to pull heavy objects in reverse.He warranties his work for 1 year as long as they tyreat it right. NO PULLING BOATS OUT OF THE LAKE IN REVERSE!!!!:duh:
The OP was asking for the receiver for reasons other than putting a towing ball on the front... :weird:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
497 Posts
:bonk::bonk::bonk:

The OP was asking for the receiver for reasons other than putting a towing ball on the front... :weird:
:duh::dielaugh:
:thumbsup:

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,736 Posts
Yeah, but he was precisely pulling another vehicle in reverse and in 4LO when it happened.
Nope... He was pulling forward... Look at the pics... Winch mounted to rear hitch, and pulling forward...

Root cause was a bent axle tube, though, which was stressing the carier...

Also, I have Bill's old front hitch, and it's particularly nice for keeping the radiator from getting hit by stuff you run over (that is too tall), and for getting pulled out of (and pulling people out from) ditches... I've never had a ball mount on it...

Mike

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
Quick summary: Using the recovery strap alone on the stuck van was ineffective, but moved him a little bit. I wanted to be in a position that I could be driving forward in case I wanted to use the engine to assist the winch, so I put the winch in the rear receiver and strapped my front shackles to a nearby tree. The van was too close, and I didn't get down to the final layer on the spool so the winch could develop its rated force. So the winch stalled out without extracting the van. At that point, using the winch line as a taut strap, I just started pulling in 4LO and the diff broke at just over half throttle. But the van started moving. :woohoo:

The root cause was the G80 housing (holding the spider gears) cracked near the ring gear, and I'm pretty sure the bent axle tubes allowed axle shaft stress to transfer to the cast iron housing.

I've used far more than half throttle in 4LO before, climbing rocks, and this wasn't a case of wheel spin locking up the G80 and shattering it with the engagement stress. There are tangs in the stack of clutch plates designed to shear in case of this kind of shock, to prevent total destruction like I had.

Guess that wasn't such a short summary after all. Carry on. :cool:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quick summary: Using the recovery strap alone on the stuck van was ineffective, but moved him a little bit. I wanted to be in a position that I could be driving forward in case I wanted to use the engine to assist the winch, so I put the winch in the rear receiver and strapped my front shackles to a nearby tree. The van was too close, and I didn't get down to the final layer on the spool so the winch could develop its rated force. So the winch stalled out without extracting the van. At that point, using the winch line as a taut strap, I just started pulling in 4LO and the diff broke at just over half throttle. But the van started moving. :woohoo:

The root cause was the G80 housing (holding the spider gears) cracked near the ring gear, and I'm pretty sure the bent axle tubes allowed axle shaft stress to transfer to the cast iron housing.

I've used far more than half throttle in 4LO before, climbing rocks, and this wasn't a case of wheel spin locking up the G80 and shattering it with the engagement stress. There are tangs in the stack of clutch plates designed to shear in case of this kind of shock, to prevent total destruction like I had.

Guess that wasn't such a short summary after all. Carry on. :cool:
Oh ok. I thought you were using the winch mounted at the front.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,629 Posts
Oh ok. I thought you were using the winch mounted at the front.
Wow, I didn't even pick that up from that thread, and I was all over it. I thought for sure Bill was in reverse. I thought I had seen a picture where he was recovering the van forwards, never picked up that he turned around... :undecided

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.