Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughters oil low light came on recently with oil life at 30%
I am pretty sure I put 6 quarts in at the last oil change.
Usually she is down around 2 quarts at around 13% of oil life.

I checked the oil because of this alert and filled it back up which took about 3 quarts. I found that quite odd. So I started looking under the engine.
Due to all the protective stuff I couldn't really see much but could see some oil dripping off the protective area. I think I noticed some oil wetness at the very bottom of the engine which possibly could just be spray or blow back.
Is there anything at the bottom of the engine area that has a seal that could leak???
I dumbly didn't open the door and look at the filter. I suppose it is possible the filter is loose, which would be my fault. I do not believe I smelled any oil burn which would be a sign of oil leaking above and burning down the side of the engine. Something I am very familiar with from 80's engines of the past.

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
450 Posts
There are valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, crankshaft seals, etc. Pressure wash the engine and see if you can find the leak, and as you inferred, it could be the oil filter. Keep a closer eye on the oil consumption, should never let it be more than 1 quart low. As the old commercial used to say " Pay me now or Pay me ( a lot ) later"

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, crankshaft seals, etc. Pressure wash the engine and see if you can find the leak, and as you inferred, it could be the oil filter. Keep a closer eye on the oil consumption, should never let it be more than 1 quart low. As the old commercial used to say " Pay me now or Pay me ( a lot ) later"
Thanks. I can see the whole upper part of the engine so I know it isn't valve covers, or anything high not the front main shaft seal that is all bone dry.

I suppose yeah an oil pan leak. Forgot about that. I will have to get under it and rip that stuff out.
It is not that oil pressure test module above the oil filter on the right side, I replaced that a few months ago and looked it over, it isn't leaking since being replaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah i know old thread. Did u ever find the problem? Mines leaking above the oil filter. Like a oil filter housing or something.i cant find the part anywhere. Anyone know the name?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts