Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4.2l 4x4
I took everything off, trying to press the ball joint but it's not budging. I heated it up and banged on it, still nothing. There is no clip in this old one either. I'm out of ideas other than beating the crap out of it and apply more heat. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
631 Posts
I had similar issue with mine, drivers side lower was original. did you grind off the edge of the top? theres a kind of lip.

in fact it broke a new amazon orion balljoint kit. after i got a new kit, and kept going, beating it with the balljoint press on it and a few heat cycles, it came off. just keep at it.

next time, i will be changing the entire lower control arm. as i discovered my lower control arm bushings are also in need of a change. so check yours.

just keep at it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All original on this one, don't have a grinder or a air compressor yet so doing everything by hand and ratchet. Pain in the arse for sure. I'm hoping I can get both lowers done today, I have to do a rear sway bar too. Leaking rear diff pumpkin gasket, bone dry, first cat rumbles, 3-4 clutch out on the trans... This thing is not fun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
160k came from Ontario Canada, so she's quite a bit Rusty. I did finally get one ball joint out, I had to use my table grinder on the lip lol I just bought a hand-held grinder so I can get the other joint out. The clamp and adapter kit I rented from O'Riley's was all sorts of bent. It kept trying to go in sideways, tore the boot right off of one, but I managed for now.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
122 Posts
Following. I bought ball joints and a BJ press; I'll fight this in the spring.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
7 Posts
2009 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4.2l 4x4
I took everything off, trying to press the ball joint but it's not budging. I heated it up and banged on it, still nothing. There is no clip in this old one either. I'm out of ideas other than beating the crap out of it and apply more heat. Any suggestions?
You have options. One, go to 1a auto Or web and watch videos on replacing lower control arms and/ or ball joints. There are videos specific to TB and Envoy 2. get loaner tool from auto parts store and press out the old one and press in the new ball joints and C arm bushings. 3. Consider new control arm w/ bushings and ball joints b/c the bushings probably need replacing too. 4 Consider new lower arms w/ new bushings and ball joints (if lowers are gone chances are uppers need replacing too.) do it once and save the sweat. Either case an alignment will be needed. Also Consider replacing hub, upper arm w/ bushings and ball joint; axle shafts if cv boots are torn. Doing it all at once will save $$$ of multiple alignments. Remember to change front diff and tx case fluids.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The kit kept binding on me, I eventually got the lowers out by grinding the lip off and using my floor jack and a hammer to the control arm. Not the best idea but it worked.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
631 Posts
thats good to hear.

keep the new one greased and hopefully you wont need to do that job for a while.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts