Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Front left CV axle shaft replacement leads to deeper issue

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  chem_man 
#1 ·
02 trailblazer 4.2 4x4 217,000 mi. Recently purchased and while replacing fluids noticed the shaft seal on front left cv axle had failed. While in the process of installing the new seal I noticed a very unwelcome bit of twisted shaving. Further investigating revealed about half a dozen very small broken metal pieces that previously were part of the inner ring of the deeper set cv shaft roller bearing (inside the diff). The larger diameter bearing, closer to the outside seems just fine, but the deeper bearing behind looks ok but is apparently seized. Nothing appears unevenly worn and all rollers are still in place around the circumference of the bearing. All the gear surfaces I can see are really in excellent condition. Did I break this bearing while removing the cv shaft? How should I proceed?

#4 ·
I have never been into this particular differential although differentials are familiar to me in all sizes ...

I believe #36 is the left side carrier preload adjuster (I think) and shouldn't be considered a consummable.

#36 looks to be the bearing that rides on the inner CV Plunger Trochoid Joint.
That should be a Torrington captured-needle/roller bearing shell, IIRC.​
This sounds to be where your failure might be.​
Check the Plunger Sleeve for bearing abuse and damage .... it too may have to be replaced.​
Unfortunately ... pieces and parts may have, by now, migrated into the differential and it will need thorought inspection and/or cleaning.

#5 ·
Reactions: Ravalli Surfer
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.