Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 trailblazer LTZ I have replaced upper and lower ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, sway bar links and brakes but I still can hear a slight clunk over bumps on front passenger side. on inspection I can not see or feel anything loose the only things I have not replaced is the half shaft and the struts could a worn strut make a clunking noise or am I missing something else?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had both the frame mounts for the swaybar were worn out. I also had a set of Ford F-250 urethane bushings for the wishbones that I put into my drillpress and carved them down to fit snugly into the U-clamps while still being tight on the swaybar itself.

I split the bushings lengthwise so they were easier to slip on, but they still needed to be put in boiling water to help a little (a lot).

Noise gone!

BTW: my front swaybar is 2 3/8" thick - is that normal?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
15 Posts
Also check your upper and lower control arm bushings. I had similar issue in my 2002 and ended up replacing the entire upper and lower control arms since the cost was not much more than the bushings alone for some odd reason .

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
21 Posts
Turn the wheel all the way to lock in a parking lot. Start doing circles. Noise?
Try turning other way. Noise?

Put it in 4wd and take a drive. Putting a load on the axles can make them noisy too if bad. Or make the noise go away since you've real tension (torque applied to them now)

If you've bad cv joints doing the above will definitely make a noise or chabge a noise if they're bad.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
26 Posts
Also check your upper and lower control arm bushings. I had similar issue in my 2002 and ended up replacing the entire upper and lower control arms since the cost was not much more than the bushings alone for some odd reason .
Made in China I would bet. Lots of assemblies like that are cheap for that reason. Hopefully they used quality bushings and ball joints. I tend to rebuild control arms (unless they're badly rusted) and use Moog Lifetime parts because I don't want to make a career of fixing the front ends on my vehicles, unless it's something I'm just getting in shape to sell. I've seen the ball joints on some of these replacement arms go bad in under 15K miles, again hopefully yours will be good to go for a long time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts