Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else have front end alignment issues? the front left is wearing on the inside of the tire again and i had an alignment down 8 mos ago when i had new rear tires put on. is it common for the TBs to have alignment issues? i got 2 new kumhos coming this week

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
I bought my Envoy new in Sept of '02. Never been to an alignment shop and the tires are wearing perfectly. (Knock on wood)

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
I bought mine in Dec. '02 and did get it aligned because I thought that after 5 years it might be a good idea. Well it did not need it after all.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
625 Posts
Have you Lifted Or Lowered it??? If yes to either then you definantly need an alignment.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
I bought mine in Dec. '02 and did get it aligned because I thought that after 5 years it might be a good idea. Well it did not need it after all.
:iagree:.....I had it done after 4-5 yrs because I thought it would be a good idea (preventative maintenance), but it was right on specs.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
538 Posts
i am also gettin inner tire wear took it to dealer to have tie rods, bearings, sway bars, balance and alignment theysaid everything checked out fine

·
Registered
625 Posts
:iagree:.....I had it done after 4-5 yrs because I thought it would be a good idea (preventative maintenance), but it was right on specs.
:iagree:

Also Wouldn't be a bad idea to check the outer tie rod ends. I have seen and sold a few of them at work.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are some pics of the outer tie rods. i dont know how to tell if they are bad or not.

Left

right

Left front tire with inside worn edges

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
Well, that sure does look like a negative camber issue.

Is the shop you took it to to have it checked a well know & reliable shop? Might want to have it checked at another place.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its a reliable place. i have all the work vehicle taken there and have no issues.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I would maybe try another shop for your alignment but i do notice your tires are pretty bald already. Just by looking at the tires i'm sure it just wore the rest of the way down even and the tire really never got much worse (it just continued to wear even across the face of the tire). Are the using an older alignment machine??

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
them are the stock tires since new so thats why the fronts are worn. the new Kumhos are on back plus the 2 delivered kumhos will be put on front.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
maybe i should take it to another place for alignment.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i looked at the front end alignment spec sheet from when i had my car done last month and the paper shows "alignment done by Visualiner". anyone know about that?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
got the 2 new Kumhos installed today. I bought the tires from discounttires.com and had my local shop mount/balance and do the front end alignment. $62 is what they charged me.

Toe in was pretty off which explained the left side tire have bad worn inside edge. Rides so much better.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
251 Posts
i looked at the front end alignment spec sheet from when i had my car done last month and the paper shows "alignment done by Visualiner". anyone know about that?
Can you scan and post the print out? I would also recommend a different shop. I spent 20 years in auto repair prior to starting my own business. Alignments were NOT a favorite of mechanics and they loved to cheat on them when they thought they could get away with it. Camber seldom changes on a front end unless there was some sort of alteration/worn out part/collision. Toe out will also cause inner tire wear however you'd probably feel something adverse in the steering ie. poor handling or wandering. Also tires that set themselves into a pattern tend to continue on the same pattern. If the alignment checks out then put on the new tires, rotate every 6k miles and see how the wear goes.

Also most tire manufactures have moved to making the recommendation of new tires on the rear and rotating the older to the front. This is to provide best traction and prevent fishtailing loss of control.

·
Registered
625 Posts
That's cheap enough insurance To know your front end is right on the money. I'd keep an eye on your tires and if you notice a little bit of unusual wear take it back and have them check everything out again.

I also agree with what he said :iagree:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
The alignment range on our trucks is pretty broad, over a full degree of camber for the 'in spec' range. They may have you sitting at -1 or the max -1.1 degrees, which is technically aligned, but will tend to wear the inside edges faster than the rest of the tire face. Now our trucks tend to wear the outside edge if you set them neutral, so some negative camber is necessary. (The preferred setting is -.5 degrees of camber +/- .5 degrees....the closer to -.5 the better).

When they set the caster, you actually want a little more or to use the SS spec and get close to 4 degrees, with the passenger side having a bit more than the driver side.....this will offset the right drift from road crown. (Especially with steam roller 20s or larger).

For Toe, keep it close to the middle of the range and have them pay attention to cross toe and cross camber/caster.....if one side sits farther off than the other (hence the word cross) it can wear the tires also. The newer hunter racks really make it simple to align, but do take a good 30-40 minutes to setup and that's the most important part the setup prior to alignment. If the shop does the alignment in less than 45 minutes, they're blowing smoke up your back side and didn't take the time to setup the truck on the alignment machine. (My brother took over an hour to make sure mine was as close as possible to preferred settings, but most shops don't).

Oh, one more thing.....Don't EVER show a discount coupon to the service writer until AFTER the alignment is done. (Especially at the dealer). If they know they're only getting $39.00 or the alignment, they tend to take short-cuts and basically check the Toe and send you back out the door and always ask for the printed sheet showing the before and after numbers.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Ok here it is. the right front toe is the problem area:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts