Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found this site and it looks like a good place for info. I have a 2002 Olds Bravada AWD, 81,000 miles and I have a vibration that can be heard and felt in the steering wheel comes in at 42 -43 mph, and gets worse until 46-47, than it smooth’s out, it seems to be even worse on deceleration. I have try put in neutral and shifting gears to change the rpm but that makes no difference, I took it to my local dealer and they said they thought it might have something to do with the front drive axel or the drive actuator.
They said the complete part can be had for $672.00 plus install but didn’t give me a part number or a better description of what they meant. I do not believe it is a wheel bearing as I have experienced that in a different vehicle and that made noise all the time. I did have an Astro van AWD once that had a vibration that was the front drive shaft but that was at highway speed. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
John
:thx

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
:tiphat Welcome :tiphat . I have to ask: Are you missing any wheel balancing weights? Have you tried swapping tires front to rear? It may not help, but if you do it yourself it's free.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
81K mileage and I'd suspect shocks. $700 sounds suspiciously like the front axle splined disconnect assembly, which your vehicle doesn't EVEN HAVE! There also is no electrical actuator.

There is a transfer case encoder motor. Can't see how that could cause a vibration.

The transfer case fluid change interval is 50K. Did you do it then?

Other than tires, shocks, you could have loose control arm bushings or tie rod ends or CV shaft problems, but I really think your dealer is guessing with that price on a mystery parts not guaranteed to fix the problem. Did they drive it or look on a lift to come to that conclusion.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vibration

I don’t think it is a tire, it doesn’t vibrate like that it is more of a buzzing than a shake, and you can here it, it is worse when your are decelerating. The dealer put it up and the air and their driveline mechanic looked at it. They said that the cv joint moves in and out about 3/4" and that is why they think that part is bad. The cv joint on one side was replaced last year and the boot has a very slight tear in it and the mechanic stated that it would warranty it and that it would have to be removed anyway to replace the part anyway. I do believe they are guessing that is why I didnt let them do it. How much should a cv joint be able to move in and out? I have owned the Bravada since new and have changed the transfer case fluid twice and the rear diff and trany, but have never changed the front diff fluid.
Thanks for the replys.
John

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
I don’t think it is a tire, it doesn’t vibrate like that it is more of a buzzing than a shake, and you can here it, it is worse when your are decelerating. The dealer put it up and the air and their driveline mechanic looked at it. They said that the cv joint moves in and out about 3/4" and that is why they think that part is bad. The cv joint on one side was replaced last year and the boot has a very slight tear in it and the mechanic stated that it would warranty it and that it would have to be removed anyway to replace the part anyway. I do believe they are guessing that is why I didnt let them do it. How much should a cv joint be able to move in and out? I have owned the Bravada since new and have changed the transfer case fluid twice and the rear diff and trany, but have never changed the front diff fluid.
Thanks for the replys.
John
:iagree: its definately not the tires. Has something to do with the front axle or the 4x4. Right now i still have that vibration problem right after we removed the 4x4 of my truck. Some how this vibratvion destroyed my hubs.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found the problem

Well the Problem is the Intermediate shaft bearing assemble. Hopefully I will be able to rebuild it as the cheapest price I have found it so far is $551.00 (bummer). The bearings are shot and the gear bearing surface is deeply gouged. The intermediate shaft looks ok, not sure if I will pull it to look it over and clean it up will decide tomorrow. If anyone has any experience with rebuild or replacement let me know.
Thanks
John

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
314 Posts
Anyone got experiece with this ?

Yes have had the same issue with my Bravada this spring .How much experiece do you have is a which way you my want to go . Me well cost savings was important .So to start if the housing is in good shape ,no cracks or stripped theads ,bearing surfaces are fine : Then go to compnine.com and look at the AWD assembly .
http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u...puid=1&modelid=6532&majorgroup=06&grouptype=B
The assembly 57 is the one for the AW4D Bravada intermediate shaft assembly . I ordered Details #2 (3 bearings) #4 (1 spacer ring ) #5 (1 connector spline ) #6 (washer ) .You may want the #1 and #8 seals if yours are bad .Plus grease .:coffee
Springbuck
( Let me know if you have any questions )

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shaft is bad

Thanks for the reply,
I pulled the intermediate shaft out and it is also bad, not completely striped but noticeably worn at sleeve end.
I will replace the seals they look ok but I don’t want to take a chance of them leaking.
Did you use wheel bearing grease?
I see that there is an access hole to put grease into the assy, did you use that or just pack it full before you closed it up.
I took the shock assemble off and the lower ball joint is very loose can move it up and down, it seemed fine when the shock assy was connected and I just had it at the dealer and they checked over the complete front and didn’t mention anything and normally if there is something even close to bad they want to replace it.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
housing

Well finished cleaning the housing up and the bearing that went bad spun and gouged the aluminum so bad that the bearing can be put in and removed with your hand, so I am back to the same thing I started with and that is to purchase the whole assemble ($551.00) unless someone has a spare front housing. I thought about a used one but I would be very leery about the condition. Well I guess I will sleep on it and decide tomorrow.
Thanks again for the feedback
John

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
314 Posts
Housing bearing surfaces smoked

Well now you need the Housings each half is a pain to find .First repair used a 4WD intermediate housing from a salvage yard in Detroit $150. with actuator on it . Used that until the parts that I needed come . I was able to use the outer housing ( original ) then re-assemble bearings ,seals thrust washer ,spacer washer and the sleeve .The big issue was the inner housing was frozen on so it had to be carefully slide hammered off ,real pain.
As far as the grease GM P/N 12377985 or NLGI#2,category LB or GC-LB

Got the parts for around $120.

Springbuck:coffee

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ordered the parts

Could not find a good replacement for less than 250.00, so I ordered a new front housing, new internals and a new shaft, total cost 504.00.
The front housing was 213.00 and the shaft 160.00. The parts are all in stock at the local GM parts warehousing except the washer which is 3-4 days out.
I also found the lower ball joint is bad so will replace that. The thread on ball joint replacement on this site is great.
Thanks for the help everyone.
John:thx

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
you could have asked for a cheaper price from me. I removed mines and it still at my friends place.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Help Sealant/gasket

There is no gasket and it did not appear that the housing halfs had any sealant on them, I was going to use #2 permatex, I can't believe it can be put together dry? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appeciated as I am tring to get it together tonight.
John

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
170 Posts
OK Boys - Here's a newbie that is getting filled to the brim.
I have an envoy with the 5.3 that needs new heads. AND now the darn diff is buzzing. Darn near traded it last week. This week my head is getting harder !!
I have never pulled a diff before but I am pretty handy and have an Alldata subscription to help. How hard is this to get out if I don't have a hoist??

Thanks a bunch
Rick

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
How hard is this to get out if I don't have a hoist??
A buddy and I did an entire axle swap in 4 hours with a lot of photo breaks. $400 for the part. No lift. Just support the frame and use a floor jack.

Make sure you get one with a G80 if you don't already have one.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=56696

OOk. Sorry. Thought we were discussing REAR diff. Never did a front one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts