Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
The first week of dec. I began to hear a low whine in the front end and a shaking under the passanger side foot board. I checked the front differential case fluid and it seemed to be slightly contaminated(bubbly and slightly milky) so I drained it and replaced it with new synthetic fluid. The noise went away for about 36 hours but is now back with the same intencity. I have checked the bearings and they are fine. also the noise and vibration goes away when turning left? I plan to revisit the problem tomorrow but wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction or any timps for diagnosis.
Thanks

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
35 Posts
Hey AirTime, it sounds like you have a wheel hub bearing problem. I’m having the same issue with my 2003 Trailblazer, and it’s getting progressively worse. I’ve read a few threads about this, and the failure rate is surprising considering the low mileage people are reporting. My mileage is only 42K, and it’s the drivers side wheel hub bearing that I suspect is bad. It’s also hard to diagnose this problem by just spinning the suspected wheel (unless it’s really shot, and the play will be obvious). Mine makes noise at around 25 MPH. The conclusive prove for a failed bearing is shifting the load side to side while driving. I plan on replacing both wheel hub bearings very soon. Good luck with your problem.

Dave

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
:tiphat Welcome :tiphat :iagree: I don't know why the noise went away for 36 hrs. It could have been the temp. Anyway, if the noise goes away when you turn left, that would indicate the right bearing is bad.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
192 Posts
any updates on this? seems like a noise or more a low vibration i feel in the floor and gas pedal. it goes away when i shift the weight from the right to the left like when you shift lanes . also it is worse when the suspention compresses. After hitting a dip in the highway it gets worse when the truck goes down then goes away as it rebounds.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
35 Posts
This really sounds like you have a wheel hub bearing problem. I replaced both of mine on my 2003 Trailblazer over a year ago. This is a common problem with the Trailblazers. Have a nice day and good luck.

Dave

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
6 Posts
Hub bearing reply

Obviously the first member who asked about his whine in the front diff already got a good answer. But I have to add that this has been the issue even on old S10 Blazers/ S15 Jimmys and particularly since OE bearing quality went down the tubes.
I wish I had a nickel for all the hub assemblies I've sold on these mid size 4x4's over the years. I would have an SS instead of an LS.
If you have to buy a bearing (hub ass'y), I strongly recommend that you pay the difference for the premium brand. I have sold all the major brands since 1987 from Chicago Rawhide to Federal Mogul and anything but the economy Chinese version is worth it...unless you decide you like replacing the blasted things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts