Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does the front drive shaft spin all the time even in 2wd. i can crawl under the truck and spin the shaft by hand in 2wd when the truck is in park. but i noticed when you put the truck in drive and start moving the front drive shaft is spinning, as well as in reverse. my second question is does the transmission fluid enter the transfercase in any place or is it completly seperate from the trans case.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Yes, it spins - driven backwards from the driver's side front tire. The passenger wheel is disconnected from the front differential in 2WD mode, but there's enough friction in the differential spider gear carrier to spin the driveshaft.

No torque, though, is sent from the transfer case so you could conceivably stop it by hand.

The TC and the tranny are separate systems, hence the requirement to use different fluids in them. They do not swap any spit. :tiphat

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, thats what i thought but wanted another opinion. i got a transmission leak where the tailpiece meets up with the transfer case. i believe its the gasket there leaking. just picked one up from the dealer and gonna change it out and hopefully that is where it is coming from.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts