Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard constant whining sound from front drive .Didn't figure it out until taking off the Front Intermediate Shaft Housing ,grease was filled with metal .Bearing gobbled up the Clutch Sleeve on the oil pan side, bearing is in tiny fragments mixed with grease .Inward side Front Wheel Drive Shaft Housing is wasted .So getting parts on 2002 awd Bravada is one problem? But when reassembly ,what type of grease to use? For future Maintance is the rubber plug for greasing in the housing.:eek:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Not sure about a rubber plug. Perhaps it's for closing up the hole where the 4WD (not AWD) vehicles have the actuator installed? Have a picture?

Anyway, parts should be no problem. Same parts are used on all later AWD trailvoys as well.

The shop manual says to fill the cavity with GM lubricant 12377985 or lubricant meeting requirements of NLGI #2 Category LB or GC-LB (same stuff recommended for the slip yoke in the rear driveline thought to be responsible for the "bump after stopped" issue)

For a parts list, visit here:
http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u...delid=6532&capuid=1&majorgroup=06&grouptype=B

You have item 57, for full-time AWD, not 56, for part-time 4WD.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
44 Posts
I just replaced the intermediate bearing carrier on my TB. (4wd) Spent $200 for the whole carrier at a local salvage yard. A relative easy fix. After you take the axle out, then take the four bolts out that hold the carrier to the oil pan. the carrier housing is a slip fit into a recess of the oil pan. spray some penetrating oil around the carrier where it goes into the oil pan. Then tap the carrier out with a hammer and punch. I stopped at a Chevy dealer and they wanted $285 just for the outside housing, $10 for the seal and $30 for the bearing. Too much money esp. after I looked inside and realized that it had been dry for a while. You need a carrier bearing that does not have the actuator (AWD)

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the grease specs

Roadie thanks for the web site compnine.com ,this was extremely helpful with the diagrams but scrolling down to the part list with GM numbers is making this alot easier.Thanks again.:eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts