Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's here's my problem on my 03 envoy slt ,I was taking the wife to work this morning and i heard a scraping sound coming from the front end it sounded much like a tree branch scraping against a window, I stopped to check it out but could not find anything wrong so i got back in and when i went to drive away the truck would not move.so i thought it must be my brakes I pulled the fuse to my abs system and tried again to move but it was the same i tried backing up and going forward but and still nothing as i stepped on the gas a little harder i heard some major clunking coming from the front end that is when i switched from awd to 2 wheel and i was able to move with no sounds coming from the truck.So here are my questions!

1 where is the 4 wd actuator located is it on the front diff or the transfer case ?

2 if it is in the transfer case is it safe to drive in 2 wd the problem is i am down to 1 vehicle until i finnish replacing the motor on my wife's car she blew that up 4 days ago and i need my envoy to get around .

3 I know if the actuator is in the front diff i will still be able to use it as a daily driver as long as it is in 2 wheel drive mode.

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated .
the envoy has 115 k miles and as for its service record i have no idea i purchased it last october and only had a problem with the blower motor module last week.

·
Registered
432 Posts
See a Professional

I'd suggest carefully taking the truck to a profesional mechanic and get his/her opinion about whether or not the truck is safe to drive until fully repaired.

I'd hazard a guess that this will cost you from $300 (bad half shaft or CV joint) to $1,700 (internal front differential problem) to repair.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked these sites no really any help does anybody no if it is safe to drive I can't contact my tranny guy until monday due to the holidays and i'm stuck with 4 people needing the only operable vehicle i have at this moment

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Can't really diagnose it accurately with your symptoms so far. It could be a coincidence that you're currently OK in 2WD mode. The front axle actuator disconnects the right side CV axle, but the differential internal parts are still being spun by the left side axle. Both CV axles are spinning because they're always connected to the wheels. And some of the internals of the transfer case are moving to get power through it to the rear wheels. So there's lots of moving parts still involved, any of which could be the problem. If it was my vehicle, I'd be trying my best to borrow or rent a replacement for a few days so it didn't strand me and my loved ones on a possibly cold or wet dangerous roadside where I would need a tow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Repaired

well I got my envoy back from my tranny guy. the problem was it was the front diff locked up due to no fluid,for some reason the fluid leaked out and onto my skid plate which was full of mud and the mud soaked up the fluid leaving no trace on my driveway. So he filled up the diff and took it for a test drive and the problem of it locking up in 4 wd and a4wd disappeared no sound either coming from the truck. So for $40.00 he changed the rear diff and transfer case fluids also. My luck is turning around finally :p:p:p:p

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
64 Posts
40? Did he charge you just for the fluids? The correct fluid for the transfer case alone is going to cost $20.00. Just to be safe you may want to make sure he used GM Autotrak II. Using anything else would be very costly.
Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts