Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 40 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
346 Posts
So for those of you that replaced this POS seal, what is the right part number? I just wasted 4 hours of my valuable time fOOOking around with my wife's POS envoy. The local store sold me the wrong part. I am pissed. To make things better against my favor, all the stores in this crappy town have nothing. I ended up special ordering it from the dealer. They don't even have one in the shelf!

I only wonder if I took this POS envoy to have the dealer do the entire job and they would end up telling me that they would have to keep it over the weekend until the part arrives monday....

Last gmc I will ever get.:mad: the icon does not even do justice on how sick I am of this pos vehicle
As is stated in many threads here, the seal is a dealer only item. However, if you'd like to get rid of that POS, I'll trade you a case of beer, no charge for the seal.

:confused:Do you by chance have a picture of the circlip and it's exact location. I'm not understanding that part of the removal. the old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" would help me with this one.

Thanks,
Mike O
The circlip is at the very end of the splined part of the axle that goes into the differential. You don't actually remove it. By striking it with a hammer and drift, you dislodge the circlip within the differential and the axle shaft comes out. Sometimes it takes a while, but it does work.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
8 Posts
Circlip

I think I get it now (circle Clip). Is it difficult to get it in the right position? I'm guessing you apply outward force on the axle and then through the fill hole try to compress the clip so the axle slides out. Would that be correct?

Mike O

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
56 Posts
For me, it was more difficult to remove. I just forced it back in after aligning the grooves on the shaft and it sort of self locked in place. I will be redoing this later this week since I found out that the seal is a dealer item only. Let us know how it came out for you.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
I think I get it now (circle Clip). Is it difficult to get it in the right position? I'm guessing you apply outward force on the axle and then through the fill hole try to compress the clip so the axle slides out. Would that be correct?

Mike O
You dont compress the clip. You do nothing but add fluid through the fill hole. To get the axle out....use a drift and hammer on the tripod to drive the axle out and the circlip will slide out over the lip.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
346 Posts

Mike O
Its a pain to get into position. Proper use of jackstands is critical since you are laying under the truck. You position a drift (I used an 18" length of rebar) on the tripot joint housing of the axle (the inboard joint) and pound the crap out of it until the axle comes out. You don't have ANY direct contact with the circlip.

Mike, can you come pick it up? Bring lots of beer.
Foreign or domestic?

·
Registered
8 Posts
axle removal

I just want to thank everyone for all the input. As far as the site, it's the best and most helpful. Thanks to all again.

Mike O:thx

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seals and bearings for these diffs

I don't know if it is appropriate but we get all our seals for these differentials from AAM,(American Axle and Manufacturing). They are the OE supplier to GM but sell the parts aftermarket, also. We buy seals, and the the disconnect housing that seizes into the oil pan all the time.

If this message is inappropriate please delete.

Don
Precision Transmission

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
1 Posts
Inserting half shaft into differential

Just replaced the seal and both half shafts, but I am not yet comfortable that all is well. I did not look closely at the end of the new Cardone half shafts to see if they were the same length as the OEM ones I removed. Now that I am finished and looked more closely the new half shafts are not seated as deeply as the ones I removed. The OEM had about a 1/4" of the shaft between the tripot and the differential cover showing. The ones I installed have a gap closer to 1/2" or even wider. Just wider than my index finger but not as wide as my thumb. It does appear that too much of the shiny shaft is yet exposed. However, when I try to pull them back out by hand it does feel like the circlip is engaged, as they do not come out and felt like something was holding them back like the circlip. If I wiggle the tripot on the drivers side I do get some movement up and down, but I am not sure if this is normal either. Are they in far enough? Do I need whack the tripots with a dift to get them to seat better? The seal was leaking and the font differential was very low but not completely dry before I noticed it. Half shafts were begining to sling grease... Thanks for any advise you can provide

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_ls
13 Posts
thanks for the useful images, however im still short on this info:

my application is a 2006 tbss awd

bad differential seal, (need part number)

behind that was loose carrier bearing adjuster nut (need to know wtf way to torque it and what the spec is)

behind that is a worn out carrier bearing cup (need part number)

i can provide pics but looks just like these

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_ls
13 Posts
fyi i figured all of this out exept the main question

the drivers side diff seal (the one that normally leaks onto axle and slings around)
is gm#14271618. this is the one i needed, called drivers side or left hand OUTER

the one that is also the drivers side is the seal that faces the oil pan, gm# 12479302 this is the one that the store will normally try to sell you... called drivers or left hand side INNER

the timken carrier bearing that you may normally find damaged under the adjuster nut is JL69310 (outer race only, hand removable) I found this at carquest on the shelf.

still need to know a good rule of thumb for reinstalling and preloading the adjuster without all the technical mumbo jumbo. the thing was loose enough that i could unscrew it by hand, so thats my starting point for reinstallation.

·
Banned
chevy
1,091 Posts
fyi i figured all of this out exept the main question

the drivers side diff seal (the one that normally leaks onto axle and slings around)
is gm#14271618. this is the one i needed, called drivers side or left hand OUTER

the one that is also the drivers side is the seal that faces the oil pan, gm# 12479302 this is the one that the store will normally try to sell you... called drivers or left hand side INNER

the timken carrier bearing that you may normally find damaged under the adjuster nut is JL69310 (outer race only, hand removable) I found this at carquest on the shelf.

still need to know a good rule of thumb for reinstalling and preloading the adjuster without all the technical mumbo jumbo. the thing was loose enough that i could unscrew it by hand, so thats my starting point for reinstallation.
Answered in the other thread... do not cross post your question to two threads in the same forum. It serves no purpose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wrong person

:weird:Hey Mighty Mouse, I think you have the wrong person. I have not posted on this site in quite a while, sorry.

Mike O

21 - 40 of 107 Posts