Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today i changed out my front diff seal on the drivers side. I have read most of the other post on here and they helped. Thank you! but i do feel like there could be more detail on how to remove the axle itself. I had no problem up to there them I could not get the axle out. I dont know exactly what to remove it but maybe in a thread just for this job there could be more description on the removal of the axle. I think maybe i had to hit the axle on the end to drive it inward to release a clip then twist a little then i could hit it with a 3lbs sledge with a bar to the back of the metal block on the axle. Then once i got out the axle the seal was hxll to get out. I am sure if i had the right tool for the job it would have worked a lot better but i ended up using channel locks to get behind the seal and pry it out. I destroyed the old one but it worked. Well what i guess i am getting out of all this is even though i read most of the posts on repair of the seal, i still had problems and maybe we could add a little more detail to the posts we have now. Just a suggestion. :m2:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
This site runs on volunteer efforts. Please share what you learned. You DID take pictures through the process?

I suspect nobody is really proud of what they had to do to get the old seal out. Here's some of my pics. First a screw into the edge, pried on by a cats-paw pry bar.

What finally worked was the cats-paw WITH a fat screwdriver

Harbor Freight seal installer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh wow! Well i didnt get that frustrated. Ya the idea of the post was maybe to try and get more information outta somebody. After running around twice looking for more tools this job took a total of 4 hours! Not what i expected after reading it took another person 1.5. Maybe i wasnt cut out for being diy mechanic. but in the end i am sure i saved a ton of money.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Hehe. As I said, it wasn't the Roadie's finest hour. But I removed my CV shaft on the side of an offroad trail at about 7000 feet elevation and was running with a Gatorade cap in pace of the shaft so the diff oil didn't all run out on the ground. :eek: Ya do what ya have ta do. :duh:

On the "getting the shaft out" problem you had: I thought it was pretty well known to use a big drift with at least a 3-pound BFH on the tripot housing to get the circlip out of the splined coupling. No need to punch the shaft inwards first.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
5 Posts
Left Front Diff Seal P/N?

I got mine apart today... :) (Saturday) thought I had a Seal from local Auto Parts store...
1. Jacked up and put on Jackstand
2. Pulled Wheel
3. Pulled Brake Caliper
4. Pulled Rotor
5. Pulled Upper Ball Joint, but kept slightly connected
a. Made sure not to put any outward stress on half shaft Tripots
6. Removed the three hub bolts did not touch the axle spindle nut
7. Pryed between the axle barrel and Diff to get axle removal started
8. Tapped the hub to get free from yoke
9. Now have the axle out of diff and removed seal...wahoo!
10. Crap...Auto Parts Seal is too small!!! :eek:

I'm now in search of a Seal????

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
That looks like the bearing, not the seal. Bearing's worth more. What did it cost? The difference didn't jump out at you when they sold you the part?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ahhh, sorry...bearing on the right was just along for the ride so when I go back to get the correct seal I've got all my clues together. Left image is what I'm in need of...just the seal.
Thanks,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Front axle

Did the axle come right out or was there a some sort of retainer holding it on the differential side?

Thanks
Mike O

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
CV axles are retained by a circlip on the inboard side. You have to use a long punch/drift/bar at an angle on the inner CV (tripot) joint. Or a pickle fork or prybar (with less chance of success) between the joint housing and the diff/bearing housing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Axle Shaft

And what about when re- installing the spline back into the diff? Are there any issues that I should be concerned about? BTW this is a 2004 Trailblazer LS 4WD. Also I just wanted to say that the site is very informative and a must if you work on your own vehicle.

Thanks,
Mike O

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re-install

Reinstall just be careful of Tripot assembly...do not pull sections apart. Kinda clicks back in but not obvious, keep inward pressure while reseating the stuff back on the outboard side of the half axle. Compare gap from housing to big barrel section with otherside that has not been pulled apart to assure yourself its fully engaged.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I just use a 2 pound rubber mallet on the CV shaft outboard side to engage the circlip. If I break something, I always carry a spare CV shaft in case I need one on the trail. ;)

·
Registered
2002 chevy
30 Posts
Another way to extract seal (with pics)

This is a great how to thread! I followed the preceding advice, but with my own twist on the bit about getting the seal out of the differential. My job was made easy by this funky old tool I had lying about (kind of a cross between a cats-paw and a hammer).

I was planning to replace the seal due to minor leak, so I did not care about damaging it. Given the amount of force I used, and descriptions from others in this forum, I do not believe you can remove it and re-use it.

First photo shows the tools used for prying.

Next two photos show how I placed the tools, using the flat of the smaller tool to protect the differential. (The prominence of the brand name on one tool in the photo was not intentional.)

Then took the last photo of the adjuster inside (after wiping it off).

Kept it from "drooling" fluid by jacking driver side up high (full reach of floor jack under frame). Kept the jack and TWO jack stands in there for safety.

I realize this may only be helpful if you, too, have one of those odd pry-bars. Hope it helps...

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
173 Posts
I have the same problem , when I have the maintenance and replacing oils ( engine , transmitter , front and rear differentials ,,, The mechanic told me there is leaking in the front differential and advised me driving under 120 km until I fix the leaking and now its empty ( no oil ) because it will seal in 2hours . :worried:
I bought that part and I'm going tomorrow the workshop to fix it BUT I'm afraid that the Differential has been disrupted now and should be replaced :(

Although ... sometimes I could hear the sound like Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn appears at a speed of 120 km

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Your mechanic should have advised you to not drive even ONE MILE with a dry differential. Some members have driven with dry diffs and they have survived after being filled. But then we never hear from them again 1 or 2 years later to see if it was permanently OK or damaged.

We just have no data.

Sorry.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
173 Posts
Not for safety reasons .

He said that the front Differential will be engaged - or fully connected - when i reach a speed of 120 km
By the way .. I have a 4×4, but I do not use it once.
but tomorrow i will go to this man to fix it .

thank you mr.roadie.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
37 Posts
For what it's worth, there is an attachment for removing CV axles using a slide hammer. Next time, I'm going to buy one - about $35 from the usual on-line tool stores. I't like a bit C that goes behind the CV joint and a good slide hammer can generate quite a bit of shock and pull. OTC 7505 is one example.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
56 Posts
So for those of you that replaced this POS seal, what is the right part number? I just wasted 4 hours of my valuable time fOOOking around with my wife's POS envoy. The local store sold me the wrong part. I am pissed. To make things better against my favor, all the stores in this crappy town have nothing. I ended up special ordering it from the dealer. They don't even have one in the shelf!

I only wonder if I took this POS envoy to have the dealer do the entire job and they would end up telling me that they would have to keep it over the weekend until the part arrives monday....

Last gmc I will ever get.:mad: the icon does not even do justice on how sick I am of this pos vehicle

·
Registered
8 Posts
circlip

:confused:Do you by chance have a picture of the circlip and it's exact location. I'm not understanding that part of the removal. the old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" would help me with this one.

Thanks,
Mike O

1 - 20 of 107 Posts