Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front differential is make noise because of a leak. I have been watching videos how to disengage the front differential and make it a 2 wheel rear wheel drive only ( I don't need 4 wheel drive). Have anyone done this or any reason it should not work? I have a 2006 Trailblazer LT Sport Utility 4-Door 4.2L 256Cu. In. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
288 Posts
I can tell you this: Do not, under any circumstances, remove the front axles and try to drive the vehicle! You have to at least leave the outer axle in the hub. The axle and hub nut actually work together to help hold the hub together. Without them, the hub will very quickly come apart. And that could really ruin an otherwise good day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can tell you this: Do not, under any circumstances, remove the front axles and try to drive the vehicle! You have to at least leave the outer axle in the hub. The axle and hub nut actually work together to help hold the hub together. Without them, the hub will very quickly come apart. And that could really ruin an otherwise good day.
You pointed out a very important step of leaving the outer axle in the hub.
The videos I watched point out that the outer axle should be left and connected to the hub.
I am think of doing it but I am still searching what will work best.
Thanks You For You Help

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,055 Posts
The hubs for the 2wd and the 4wd are exactly the same. There is absolutely NO reason to leave any stub shaft in the hubs. The rear wheel drive models come from the factory with exactly the same wheel hub and no shaft in them.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
This is false. The rear wheel drive models came from the factory with exactly the same wheel hub (by part number) as the 4wd models.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The hubs for the 2wd and the 4wd are exactly the same. There is absolutely NO reason to leave any stub shaft in the hubs. The rear wheel drive models come from the factory with exactly the same wheel hub and no shaft in them.
I appreciate your response and just want to be clear on what you are stating. All 2006 model 2WD TB are rear wheel drive and have no front Axle or shaft attached to the hub. The front hub that are used in the 2WD TB are the EXACT ones used for 4WD model. If that being true then removing the axle from both sides would be how a 2WD came from the factory, except in my case I would have a bad differrential sitting there connected to no axle or drive shaft. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
All 2006 model 2WD TB are rear wheel drive and have no front Axle or shaft attached to the hub.
I did not state this anywhere.

I am stating that the wheel hubs used in the RWD models is the very same part used in the 4WD models. And as such there is clearly no requirement for any axle stub to be used as there is no such thing done in the RWD models.

Note the fitment detail shown in the picture. Both 4WD and RWD listed for the same part.

Screenshot_20210302-074556.png

·
Registered
52 Posts
You do not need to leave anything connected. I would be more concerned about any leaks from removing them

·
Registered
2009 saab 9_7x
3 Posts
My front differential is make noise because of a leak. I have been watching videos how to disengage the front differential and make it a 2 wheel rear wheel drive only ( I don't need 4 wheel drive). Have anyone done this or any reason it should not work? I have a 2006 Trailblazer LT Sport Utility 4-Door 4.2L 256Cu. In. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
In the summer I just removed the front drive shaft, and put grease on the shaft output so it wouldnt corrode, had no issued all summer and get better gas mileage

1 - 9 of 9 Posts