Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
346 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 2005 TB. I have a bit of a diff leak so I'm Leary about using a torch. How flammable is diff. fluid?

·
Registered
346 Posts
It's not overly flammable, but I would pay attention to not overheat the area. It is right next to the out put shaft seal. If you have to use heat, I'd use a good heat gun. Not recommended but If you have to use a torch, then spray the area down with a good water based degreaser first then wipe dry. Make sure you don't have ANY other fuel leaks or fumes present. And keep a fire extinguisher near by.

I bought a cheapo electric impact driver for $64.00. It's the BEST investment I've made in tools in a long time. Zipped that plug right out!

Keep us posted. c good
Thanks so much for the answer. I'm going to clean the area good first. Good point on the seal. I have a 135lb air comp but I'll have to go get my big compressor from my ex's house and see if that does it with the heat.

·
Registered
346 Posts
At mechanic. Three guys, 3 feet of breaker bar, no joy... Anybody know of a drain plug replacement that is a one way valve that you can fill through?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Impact gun, PB Blaster and map torch weilded no joy for me. They tried an impact as well with no luck. The only thing I can think is it was cross threaded at my other mechanic.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ok, so I have accepted my fate and come to the realization that the front diff fill plug is in for good. So I decided to attack the root of the problem. Last year I posted how my mechanic tried to pry my ds axle off to replace the seal with no joy. Roadie pointed out how this is a low success method and banging it out is the way to go. Sometimes I make the mistake of thinking, if the mechanic can't do it why should I be able to?
Well decided to get my confidence up and went to lowes for some rebar. About an hour of pounding (Id say only one out of every 10 whacks were effective ones) and after separating the tripot joint, out came the axle. The seal came out with relative ease and new one in carefully with a dowel and rubber mallet. With the help of my trusty manual (that's for you roadie) and my conversion tool, I find the 2005 Trailblazer L6 takes .825 quarts of fluid. Filled as much as I could with Royal Purple through the axle shaft hole.
Replaced with new axle shaft since I didn't want to risk finding out I screwed the tripot joint by separating it and it landed in gravel when it came apart.
I wanted to pull the vent hose off the vent plug but I saw it was going to break the hose so I just removed the top cap and dripped the rest in. Took about 3 hours while I changed the rear diff fluid.
I plan now to remove the vent hose and replace it, and use the vent plug as my fill in the future. I will also fashion a bit of a dipstick to check fluid level through here as well.
So, maintenance preformed since last Thursday...
All upper and lower ball joints
Front and rear sway bar links with maxx links
Tie rod ends
Axle shaft
Front and rear diff fluid changes
Transaxle today and I think I'm good

Thanks for all the help!:tiphat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts