Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading several posts on this site, it's apparent the bearing in the front, passenger side axle disconnect has a tendency to go bad for lack of grease. An entire unit is around $500. Has anybody tried to remove the bearing itself and replace it? Sure would be nice to do that instead of spending so much money. I'm guessing there's actually an inner and outer bearing. Seems to me if you could get the old bearings out it should be possible to match them up and replace them.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found the bearings and seals on a GM parts site for about $50. Guess I'm going to find out how hard it will be. As long as the housing isn't damaged, it should work.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
41 Posts
Take pic's and share with everyone

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the best laid plans...... Ordered the bearings and seals, but ran into a little snag removing the old disconnect. I expected the disconnect to come right out, but apparently not. I started tapping on it and it appeared to be coming out. Put a wedge behind it only to have it break off, leaving the aluminum collar still in the oil pan. I was not a happy camper. Took me forever to get it out. I kept spraying it with PB Blaster and letting it sit over a couple hours. Finally got it to move. Ordered a new disconnect and axle off Amazon. Didn't even take an hour to put it back together. Of course it cost another $400.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
12 Posts
Ive done te bearings on the outside accuator housing it was fairly easy hoping to fix my 4 wheel drive problem and had no such luck. It seems the fork gear on the inside isnt sliding over enough to get on the axle gear on the diff side. Does anyone have any ideas?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts