Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I got tired of the factory speakers up front – thought a set of components might be nice.
In a nutshell, here’s what I did. Ran the front RCA’s from the aftermarket radio to the aftermarket amp. The speaker outs from the amp (I learned this from MAY03LT) to the factory amp area. I cut the front door speaker outs of the factory amp and spliced the speaker outs of the aftermarket amp into them.
Then removed the door panels and factory speaker – put the components and crossovers in.

I used this article for removing the door panels – very helpful.

This sticky shows how to tap into the factory amp except this time I didn’t really tap into them, I cut them (the ones coming out of the amp aren’t used) and spliced the wires from the other amp to go to the front speakers.

Here’s a pic of the door switches showing what type of clips hold it in. No worries – just lift it out!

A pic of the removed door panel.

This is the front door speaker of a Bose Premium system. Strange looking 8” woofer. Tweeters are in the dash. (I left them there – they still operate the chimes & warnings)

Close as I could figure – I had about 3&7/8ths” clearance.

Removed the woofer and cut a cover out of some extra plastic I had.

Filled in where the wires were (with part of a spray can lid and silicone!!).

Of course, a picture from the back!

Drilled holes for the tweeters. Actually, if you look close – you can see I changed the contour of the door panel. I didn’t like the way they would’ve pointed down so I heated the door up (slowly and carefully) and when it was slightly soft - used a can the same size as my tweeter mount and applied pressure till it cooled. Nothing drastic – just to help a little.

Not sure if all our trucks have the “SOUNDLOC” cover.

Was going to run the woofer wire up and out with the rest but was afraid of it getting into the window mechanism – so I drilled a hole underneath for the wire.

Installed. Not sure what I’m going to do with the crossovers – they’re there for now!

It was a lot of work – but I enjoy that stuff and the sound is sooo much better!:excited:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.
Andrew - as far as that measurement, yours might be different - having a 6 1/2" stock speaker the housings may differ.?:undecided
I was actually thinking of trying to find speaker housings from a non Bose so I wouldn't have to adapt mine - wasn't sure if they would bolt up though.

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Thanks guys.
Andrew - as far as that measurement, yours might be different - having a 6 1/2" stock speaker the housings may differ.?:undecided
I was actually thinking of trying to find speaker housings from a non Bose so I wouldn't have to adapt mine - wasn't sure if they would bolt up though.
yeah I don't have bose but I see the question pop up from time to time.....good to finally have an answer:D

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
looks good.

is there a reason why you put the tweaters so low? imo the best place to put tweaters are in the a-pillars. also, why put the x-over in the door, its half hidden, half not.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does it really sound that much different? Would you say it be worth doing? I was thinking about doing it but I don't know what speaker would work off the Bose amp.
It's a matter of opinion. It sounded OK the way it was. I think it sounds quite noticeably better now. I get bored not doing something to my truck - so it was a nice project. I was happy with it how it was. I'm glad I did it.
Now look - ya got me talking back and forth!!

is there a reason why you put the tweaters so low? imo the best place to put tweaters are in the a-pillars. also, why put the x-over in the door, its half hidden, half not.
Well, doing a project like this - I probably should have taken the time to try the tweeters in various locations. But just as I like doing these things, I like getting them done too! So the JL installation instructions showed this;

so I figured/hoped they knew a little - and it does sound good - you don't hear guitars at yer feet!!
As far as the crossovers, I'm open to suggestions. I used the factory wiring into the door. If I would have ran the wire into the doors, I would have put the crossovers in the little side panels of our dash.
After I'm sure everything is OK, I might mount them to the inside of the door panel (not inside the door - there's room between the door panel and inner door skin)

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
So the JL installation instructions showed this;
you did not just quote JL :x:D:nono:

well thats up to you. i tried them there i didnt like it cause it didnt have the staging i wanted.

NOT IN THE DOOR. its not sealed, water will get in and rust your x-overs. i put them under the center consol below the radio facing into the consol so you cannot see them from outside

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well. I suppose (maybe) that was uncalled for but I didn't post this to ask if you like JL or not - if we all liked the same company - that's all that'd exist.
I posted what I did. If you don't like it - eh - so what.
I'm stopping now - this ain't what I had in mind for this post.

·
Registered
2005 buick rainier
38 Posts
What size was the speaker in the front door? I saw you said the Bose was 8" but did you replace it with an 8"? My stereo code is UQA and honestly the amount of lows bass makes me really think they are 8's in the doors. And I guess in this setup do you know what size speakers were in your dash?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The door speakers - people call them 8's - I have them in the basement and can give you the measurement of the bolt circle if you want. I made that adapter and put 6&1/2's in. I didn't really look around if anybody makes a good 8 to put in.

I didn't have dash apart so I don't know what size they are. There was a thread asking about that this week - not sure if they got a definitive answer or not.

A word of caution - the foam around the speaker (surround?) was hitting the factory 'grill' a lot. I had to modify it to get some clearance - I don't think it's hitting any more. I know Andrew (may03lt) had the same trouble. The factory speakers were reverse mounted so they didn't have to have the clearance. You'll either have to modify the grill or I was thinking perhaps I could have mounted the speaker behind the 'box' instead of from the outside - I'm not sure. For the way Andrews and mine were touching the grills, I can't see that any speaker in it's place wouldn't have. Maybe others that replaced theirs can chime in about their solution.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.