Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 trailblazer and have been having major issues with the front axle. It's been replaced twice in the past year and I just went out last night and found grease all over the front tires again. I've also been feeling like I'm all over the road, especially when on the highway. A friend looked at it and said that the axle broke again. This would be the third time. Does anybody know what could be causing the axles to break??? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Welcome!

First off, let's get the terms straight so we're talking about the same thing. There is no single front axle, there are two CV shafts. Each one has two CV joints built into it, and two rubber or neoprene flexible boots to keep grease retained on the CV joints.

So when you say the axles "break", do you mean you have metal fragments and broken pieces falling out of the assembly, or do you simply have a loose/torn/or out of position boot that's allowing grease to get flung around?

Who's doing the replacing? A dealer or independent mechanic of a friend?

Are you replacing the entire CV shaft assembly, or just the boots?

Are the replacements OEM brand or an aftermarket style like Cardone? I use and recommend Cardone because you can get them for $50-60 and their neoprene boots are MUCH more flexible and resistant to coming off and slinging grease.

Share some answers to those questions, and we'll get the crack Trailvoy Diagnostic Team right on your case. :tiphat

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, when I said "break" I mean that something is coming loose and allowing the grease to drain and/or be flung around. We have not seen any metal fragments. My father is working on it, as he has worked in auto shops for years (but is not currently). He has replaced the entire system twice now. Along with the grease being everywhere, the car seems to be all over the place when going at higher speeds. I don't know what brand he used, but he bought them from Parts America, so I assume they are some aftermarket brand.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
314 Posts
The car seems to be all over the road

He has replaced the entire system twice now. Along with the grease being everywhere, the car seems to be all over the place when going at higher speeds. I don't know what brand he used, but he bought them from Parts America, so I assume they are some aftermarket brand.

Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

Seems like this should be the main issue ,car all over the road.:m2:
Springbuck

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
Another question, have you raised the vehicle, and if so, how much?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts