Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all

Every year my wife two kids and I load up in the truck and head to Branson. This year we took to the boat it is a 1997 Celebrity 180 Bowride. The boat is 18ft 2in with trailer the weight is 3200 lbs with gear and a full tank the way I pulled it up there it was about 3600 lbs.

I drive a 2006 Chevy TB 4X4 with the V8 32,000 miles. We left out of Dallas at 8:00 AM Monday morning. The back of the truck loaded to the top of the seat and the rest of the gear loaded in the boat. I have a wife and two little girls. I can get through a week of vacation on 2 T shirts a pair of swimming trunks and 1 sock but not those women.

Drove the Indian Nation turnpike which has some pretty nice hills allong the way runnin 70 to 75 when i could. The lowest the TB dropped down to was 65 going up a pretty big hill (I love this truck). Has plenty of power even with the AC runnin full blast. From there we jumped on 40 and headed east to Arkansas where we got into the Boston Mountains some beautiful country but those hills are a B**** on the towing. Still ran 65 70 no major events on the way up there. There are some narrow curvy up and down dirty roads in southern Mo really nerve racking when you have a boat on the back and the trailer is 106 inches wide.

Oh and an RV did back into the front of the truck while I was in Branson at the outlet mall with the women. No major damage so we are good just a couple of scratches on the bumper.

The trip is 450 miles one way. On the way home as soon as I get on the turnpike about 3 miles into it, and only 150 miles from home. I was already at speed doing 75 miles an hour and the front left truck tire blows out. Not went down BLOWS out BOOM at 75. The truck handled it like a dream had my girls in the truck and was never worried. Luckly I had brought along a floor jack and 4way just in case something like this happened took about 10 minutes to fix. The boat did pull better on the way up there with a full tank of gas. I guess the weight in the back of the boat relieved some on the tongue weight on the front of the trailer. But I will be pulling it empty now for the better mileage.

To sum things up

The trip took 8 hours both ways
Ran 70 75 the hole time
Ran the AC at full blast
Temp gauge never moved off of 210 degrees
Averaged 15.3 miles on the round trip

The only change

I will be putting brakes on my trailer...While I was never worried I would like a little more stopping power when I have my Ladies in the truck with me. The truck stopped it just fine I just want a little extra security.

All in the TB was great

If someone will tell me how I will post picks of the truck and trip on here.

Thanks
Richard

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
I'll post more about towing later, but pics...

Upload your photos someplace (photobucket, etc), then copy the link to the picture. Press the picture that looks like a stamp with a mountain on it, at the top of the window, where you're posting, and paste the link into the box that pops up...

Or you can just put [ img ] and [ /img ] without the spaces before and after the [ ], and paste your link in between them..

Mike

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
128 Posts
I am jealous! I grew up in southern MO and lived in Branson for 4 years. I love that area, I think that it is the prettiest area in the country.:thumbsup: Did you stay in town or at the lake! Those outlet malls can be very dangerous. :no:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Boat has the 4.3 liter with the 4 barrel 205 HP and the Alpha one outdrive. That damn boat laid down on me for two days I worked on it. Ended up having to rebuild the carb replace the fuel pump and finally drain the tank remove it and clean it out. I think my daughter put some jello in there (I now she put the raisins in the VCR) All in all it was a great trip beautiful country up there. We stayed on Indian Point right down by the water.

If the boat ran as good as the TB it would be great

But not everything is perfect:laugh:

Thanks
Richard

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
963 Posts
On the way home as soon as I get on the turnpike about 3 miles into it, and only 150 miles from home. I was already at speed doing 75 miles an hour and the front left truck tire blows out. Not went down BLOWS out BOOM at 75. The truck handled it like a dream had my girls in the truck and was never worried. Luckly I had brought along a floor jack and 4way just in case something like this happened took about 10 minutes to fix.
Did your wife and girls time you like a pit stop (A Christmas Story). Did you bust a knuckle and say fudge!

Great attitude for a trip that included a boat that wouldn't run and a blown tire on the way home! These trucks are awesome, we hit a deer a couple of weeks ago traveling to Springfield MO from Nashville. Did $5,100 damage to the front end but still drove and handled fine until we got home 4 days later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Buddy lets start out by saying that when I left Branson it was 58 degrees. When I blew the tire in Oklahoma it was 98 degrees I was not a happy camper. As for the busted nuckle no but I did put a 2 inch divet in the asphalt in the side of the road that Tiger would be proud of. It was like a three ring circus. The kids were climbing around in the truck like a couple of monkeys and for some reason I couldnt convince the wife to watch the rear so that I didnt get run over. I'll tell you what a Semi going by at 75 will definitly get you in gear to get that tire changed. I am glad I watched all those nascar races Zippy was screamin at me to get that tire changed on the #20 (that was the good old days). Fudge was not the word when I was trying to get the tire back up in the holster in the back. That babby was flat out hot and it burned the hell out of my arm. I would have been more upset but that truck handled it like a champ when the tire blew. I never had a worry there was no swerving or out of control feeling. I should have taken a picture but i just wasnt feeling the Kodak moment.

Thanks
Richard

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,228 Posts
boy those pics bring back memories the family and i run up to branson as a second home almost lol somtimes just take day trips up there
oh and welcome to the site :tiphat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.