Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My odometer and PRND321 display hasn't come since I jump started my '04 Trailblazer EXT. I checked the fuse, which was fine. Reading other posts, there was a lot of discussion about loose solder points, so I tore apart my cluster to check it out. Although the solder points seem in tact, I noticed what appears to be a burn on the top-left glass of both the PRND321 display and the odometer display.

Can anyone confirm that this is typical result of soldering from the factory, or if i indeed fried it while jump starting?

Unfortunately I can't add a picture or link since this is my first post, although I am a frequent visitor on this site due to constant issues with my Trailblazer! Copy the URL in your browser and add the http prefix stuff to see the picture (sorry for the newb inconvenience!)

Image:
s22.postimg.org/n5384w80g/WP_20160310_004.jpg

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,567 Posts
When you jump started your truck where did you hook up the cables? If you connected the positive cable to a stud terminal on the edge of the fuse box, it is possible that you could have damaged the cluster. Those dark areas do look like something may have burned behind the face plate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a charger/jump starter that I used, I hooked the positive to the battery screw-post on the side of the battery and hooked the negative to a ground within the engine bay. The battery's been dead a dozen or so times due to a bad drain, so i use the 30 amp fast charge for about 5 or 10 minutes, then crank it. I was lazy and didn't disconnect the battery before charging, so i'm lucky i only (possibly) fried the cluster display. I definitely did not charge to the terminals on the fuse box. All else in the cluster works fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should also note when charging from complete dead battery, the interior lights flickered, and I recall the cluster gauges or lighting acting strange, either flickering or dancing around. A lot I see in hindsight :duh:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts