Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as Joe noticed from my facebook status yesterday I was a little bit beyond POed...

Well back around 3000 miles ago I had my oil changed at Wal-Mart... It was 10 degrees out and windy. Since I dont have the garage space to this and be warm and be able to make it the whole way through I had my oil changed at wal-mart. Well yesterday I went to change my oil. It hadnt been 3000 miles, I ran motor flush through, drained the oil and went to take the filter off... after trying for about 30 minutes to no avail and denting the filter with a strap wrench. I walked over to Advanced Auto to see what they had that I could use. Of course I had to walk, in the freaking rain because my TB was pulled slightly into my garage parking my bikes in... I got a different type of strap wrench that would be easier to use for the filter location. After denting and cracking the filter even more (now about 3 hours into the oil change). I called wal-mart and explained the situation to them. The service manager was very polite in trying to resolve the issue. Well he offered to send somebody out to me, they werent allowed to do this because of insurance. They said I would have to find a way to get my vehicle there. I didnt think the crack in the filter was too bad sooooo... I filled up the TB with the new oil, no major leaks or anything like that... Start it up, there went a quart of oil! I call them back and say I will bring my TB to them but they are paying for the tow there. The #$% D!#k of a manager said that they were going to because they didnt do anything wrong and this that and the other thing. So I am trying my darnedest to be nice, well my buddy took my phone from me because it wasnt working for me to be nice... After the manager was a D!#k to him... We said we will give it one more shot with another tool, we had it lined up to go to a local shop the next day for another friend to work on it if we couldnt get it off. After trying for about 15 minutes and using a breaker bar the filter finally came off. I checked the threads to see if the @#$!%heads from wal-mart cross threaded it or something like that but it turns out they just put the filter on that tight!

I will post pictures later of the mangled filter that I took off.

Now that that is out of the way... and I am writing my letter to wal-mart Corp. to complain about how we were treated... Hows everybody doing today?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,968 Posts
Well as Joe noticed from my facebook status yesterday I was a little bit beyond POed...

Well back around 3000 miles ago I had my oil changed at Wal-Mart... It was 10 degrees out and windy. Since I dont have the garage space to this and be warm and be able to make it the whole way through I had my oil changed at wal-mart. Well yesterday I went to change my oil. It hadnt been 3000 miles, I ran motor flush through, drained the oil and went to take the filter off... after trying for about 30 minutes to no avail and denting the filter with a strap wrench. I walked over to Advanced Auto to see what they had that I could use. Of course I had to walk, in the freaking rain because my TB was pulled slightly into my garage parking my bikes in... I got a different type of strap wrench that would be easier to use for the filter location. After denting and cracking the filter even more (now about 3 hours into the oil change). I called wal-mart and explained the situation to them. The service manager was very polite in trying to resolve the issue. Well he offered to send somebody out to me, they werent allowed to do this because of insurance. They said I would have to find a way to get my vehicle there. I didnt think the crack in the filter was too bad sooooo... I filled up the TB with the new oil, no major leaks or anything like that... Start it up, there went a quart of oil! I call them back and say I will bring my TB to them but they are paying for the tow there. The #$% D!#k of a manager said that they were going to because they didnt do anything wrong and this that and the other thing. So I am trying my darnedest to be nice, well my buddy took my phone from me because it wasnt working for me to be nice... After the manager was a D!#k to him... We said we will give it one more shot with another tool, we had it lined up to go to a local shop the next day for another friend to work on it if we couldnt get it off. After trying for about 15 minutes and using a breaker bar the filter finally came off. I checked the threads to see if the @#$!%heads from wal-mart cross threaded it or something like that but it turns out they just put the filter on that tight!

Now that that is out of the way... and I am writing my letter to wal-mart Corp. to complain about how we were treated... Hows everybody doing today?
better than you apparently......

sorry to hear about that

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
111 Posts
Honestly, it could have been worse... the fact that they even took the time to talk to you amazes me.

My dad once took a car into WalMart and they cross threaded the drain plug so it had a consistent leak, and stripped the damn bolt so you couldn't even get it back out to screw it in correctly. They wouldn't give him the time of day.

This is a perfect example of why I have a good place here that we've been using for years that I trust, certainly couldn't stomach taking my baby to WM for service!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Sorry you had a BAD day. Funny thing is if you put an oil filter on using oil on the rubber gasket it will glue to the block, if you use grease on the ring it will come off much easier.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
203 Posts
thats those lancaster walmarts lol. ill keep to changing my own oil but sorry about your experience.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the options were Wal-Mart in East Lampeter, or Jiffy Lube in Willow Street. Never had any problems with wal-mart before, my dad goes there and never had any problems. Jiffy Lube to me always needed to get rid of the J and just go by the name of Iffy Lube... And I hated the thought of taking it to a Stealership... Next winter I will just either bare the cold, or drive down to a friends house with a nice garage and do it myself.

Today is much better than yesterday:D...

I have my TB running good, I am waiting for saturday so I can go pick up a new smoked windscreen for my bike (it was free!!!!!)... and its suppose to be nice enough this weekend that the TB will be a Drive-way Orniment! I love my TB but I would rather be out on the bike... 15MPG vs 52MPG... not too much of an arguement;)

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
203 Posts
ah yea i don't like taking my vehicle anywhere to have work done unless its absolutely necessary. but yea good call on taking the bike out. i definetly miss my bike kinda wish i wouldn't have sold it lol

·
Registered
2003 olds bravada
350 Posts

and this is one of the many reasons why i will never take anthing to walmart. I've heard plenty of horror stories from my lady's brother in-law who worked there 3 times and is there now

I too have the issue of lack of space to do a mundane task such as an oil change..luickly i know people w/ garages

sorry to hear about that though.. it could've been worse

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
330 Posts
Dude I would never take my car to walmart. I've heard too many story's about them messing up peoples cars. :nono:

·
Registered
chevy
1,797 Posts

I feel your pain. My ex-wife works at Walmart, she had the oil changed once there while she was working. The next time, I changed the oil like I normally do, and like you, they had the filter on so tight it took an hour to get the damn thing off. You would think that simple principle things that you should know to work on a car would be gone over in their "training". There is absolutely NO reason to EVER tighten an oil filter any where close to that tight!:hissy: I've never taken a vehicle to Walmart since then, the only time I did before is because I knew a guy that worked there and that he actually knew what he was doing with cars, so he always got ours...

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, well the last time I went to the dealership for an oil change they said I needed new brakes, change my trans and diff fluid... This was said with me know the brakes were even on the vehicle a year (all 4 corners), the trans had pretty much all new internals (after the problems I had with it and had the fluid replaced) and all the diff fluid had been changed when that happen as well. I asked them if it was being recommended because of mileage or if it was being recommended because it was checked. They said they checked, I politely said well then you should check your mechanics knowledge of things because all that stuff was done already. He asked if I was sure because I had only owned the TB for 2 months... I showed him the service records in my glove box payed the bill and went on my marry way.

But yeah, pretty much from now on its getting done by me.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Sorry to hear the horror story that you were subject too. However this could have happened anywhere, even at a dealership. I once worked for Wal-Mart when they actually had certified mechanics. After dropping any services that would require a "mechanic" and replacing them with "Lube Techs" at a lower pay quality service began to go down hill. I have not worked for them for a very long time but at the time that I did I even saw these problems come from dealers. I once serviced a newer Mazda that was "only dealer serviced" with the exception of my service at around 15,000 miles due to travel. To make a long story short the vehicle still had the original factory filter with Japanese writing, all replacement filters included English. So anyone can mess up. Face it have you ever looked at the "lube techs" at any place that you have gone to? These are not the smartest people around, most are pretty scary! There are good and bad everywhere, just keep an eye on whomever is working on your vehicle. If something doesn't look right then stop them so that it can be corrected before you run into other problems in the future. CYA!

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Yeah, well the last time I went to the dealership for an oil change they said I needed new brakes, change my trans and diff fluid...
not surprising, most dealership techs are "upsellers"......they prey on unsuspecting customers with hopes that they are not in the know about their vehicles upkeep or the maintainence history.....in other words, scum:m2:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
128 Posts
I hadd my car s oil changed by Wally-world in college. They forgot to put the oil cap on, but they resolved the issue to my satisfaction. One time I had tires from them and I had one blowout on me. I took it into the store to get a new on (I had road side warrenty). They told me they couldn't give me a new one because the manger was the only one that could pro-rate the tire ware and she was not in. She was supsed to be in in the morning then they would change it before I went to work. I called several times in the am and she didn't prorate it, she was unavailable because she ws at lunch. I got ahold of the store manager and hegave me the tire for free. When I went to check out the manager tridto charge me for the tire. I told her that her manager gave it to me and she had the nerve to ask why!:hissy:
I would rethink the dealership! Mine has never tried to upsell me and they are alot cheaper than anyone else in town for an oil change!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Iffy Lube and Wally world are the last places I would ever take my vehicle to have worked on..

I drive past the local Goofy Lube alot and there is always 3 retards standing by the street holding up signs to get people to come in.. :hopeless:hopeless:hopeless

and Wally World? well.. hmmm.. I really dont know why I go there.. :undecided

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
346 Posts
Why is everyone taking their cars to places to get the oil changed int he first place? It takes 15-20 minutes, MINIMAL tools, and can be done anywhere. Plus, its cheaper to boot.

Not trying to bash, but Walmart!!??!!?? The dealership would be a MUCH bette rplace to go if you HAD to take it some place.

Just dont understand how people are a car enthuesiest forum dont even want to do something as so small as change their oil and KNOW its done right!

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,034 Posts
i just do it myself,but if i was going to take it in i would not go to wal-mart it's really true you get what you pay for:yes:i just hear way to much bad stuff about them too

1 - 20 of 42 Posts