Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Frame differences between I6 and v8 swb?

7K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  bartonmd 
#1 ·

As far as I know all gmt360's utilize the same frame...Essentially just different motor mounts to position the v8 closer to the firewall....

I am curious If I grabbed a set of motor mounts from a 5.3 Rainier

If it would position an lsx motor in the correct position.....

I have heaps of experience with lsx motors in general.....

I know f.i when doing a v6 4.8/5.3 swap to a 6.0 lq4 in a gm sierra.....

You just use the 5.3 motor mounts......

With my lsx swap, I may possibly be able to use either a 5.3 trailvoy mounts
or possibly the 6.0 tbss mounts....:duh:

#2 ·
From my PM... Nothing really private in there, and more eyes, ears, and minds help...

Like I said before, the V8 is farther forward, so the transmission is farther forward, so the transmission rear mount crossmember is farther forward (This I know FOR SURE, as the T-case/fuel tank skid plate for the V8 is 4" longer than the one for the I6, and is a different part number from GM). Because the transmission is farther forward, but the axles are in the same place on both I6 and V8, you will also need the front and rear drive shafts from the V8, as the front drive shaft is 4" shorter, and the rear is 4" longer.

I really have no idea on engine mounts, but the engines are physically much different, and the TB was originally designed without the V8, so I guess I can't see them being the same, with the V8 being used in other things, and having standard mounting locations...

I'll gladly take pictures and measurements of mine if you need them...

Mike

#3 ·
regular tbs w/ 22gal tanks (03+) compare to an ss is the same but compare with an ext may (i said May) be different to the extender rear end.

As far as I know all gmt360's utilize the same frame...Essentially just different motor mounts to position the v8 closer to the firewall....

I am curious If I grabbed a set of motor mounts from a 5.3 Rainier

If it would position an lsx motor in the correct position.....

I have heaps of experience with lsx motors in general.....

I know f.i when doing a v6 4.8/5.3 swap to a 6.0 lq4 in a gm sierra.....

You just use the 5.3 motor mounts......

With my lsx swap, I may possibly be able to use either a 5.3 trailvoy mounts
or possibly the 6.0 tbss mounts....:duh:

#4 ·
I asked him to post this here Monday, and haven't heard anything, so I'll post it...

Hid-hq said:
Ok so def take pics and measurements....Nope 99% sure the frames are identical......But the motor mounts pads and brackets reposition the motors......
Take a measurement form the firewall to dead center of the mount in the mounting hole.....
I'll try and get measurements tonight, of the firewall to engine mount, rear ending crossmember to T-case/trans crossmember, and front and rear drive shaft lengths (shaft, itself, not including U-joints)...

Mike

#5 ·
I asked him to post this here Monday, and haven't heard anything, so I'll post it...

I'll try and get measurements tonight, of the firewall to engine mount, rear ending crossmember to T-case/trans crossmember, and front and rear drive shaft lengths (shaft, itself, not including U-joints)...

Mike
Im going to get a tape measure and get under my SS friday if I get a chance.

#6 ·
Well I cant post any measurements......

My trucks in for paint right now......100 percent custom baybeeeee!!!!!!

Ill post pics when its done....

Getting alot of work done.......

So any I6,tbss and v8 guys please chime in.....

Id love to get a guy with an ssr to take measurements....drool.....

Id love to know if the the ssr with the 5.3 uses the same mounts as a 6.0 ls2......

Also love to know if the tbss uses the same motor mounts as the 5.3 v8's/////// That would explain a lot....

#7 ·
Also love to know if the tbss uses the same motor mounts as the 5.3 v8's/////// That would explain a lot....
I suspect it does... The 5.3L SWB came out the same year as the SS, and the sticker on the side of my frame says "V8", not "LH6" or something...

Didn't get a chance to take measurements last night... my sister's in town from CA... I'll try tonight...

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.