Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my vehicle back from an independent shop for replacing my transmission cooler lines (which had rusted through and were leaking), and the rear upper trailing arms (one had broken). I noticed that now there are holes where the trailing arms hook into the frame. The rest of the metal around it doesn't feel flimsy and I can't make the holes any bigger by hand.
Should I be concerned? Pictures included below.

Drivers side-
Bedrock Wood Rock Metal Soil

Passenger side-

Carnivore Collar Snout Working animal Carmine

· Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
584 Posts
Yes, you need steel plates welded to the frame and new trailing arm mounting hardware welded to that. Search this site, someone on here makes replacements. With that much rust, there may be other spots on the frame that need attention.
Depending on how far you want to go with it, have the frame needlescaled, rust converted and NIH rustproof undercoating applied. Expensive.

· Registered
36 Posts
It’s nice when folks who start threads actually report back. For our edification, please: did you end up repairing this? Details are helpful as we fill the stores of internet knowledge with, not just problems, but resolutions to those problems. Even if the resolution was ‘I scrapped it’, it’s worth sharing. Might help the next guy. Plus, all this ‘leave-it-hanging’ makes me feel all unresolved inside.

· Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,751 Posts
It’s nice when folks who start threads actually report back. For our edification, please: did you end up repairing this? Details are helpful as we fill the stores of internet knowledge with, not just problems, but resolutions to those problems. Even if the resolution was ‘I scrapped it’, it’s worth sharing. Might help the next guy. Plus, all this ‘leave-it-hanging’ makes me feel all unresolved inside.
I had a couple of burritos yesterday and my insides are still unresolved today ......

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:
Just got back from the collision shop. The tech who looked at the vehicle said they couldn't repair it because the brackets are structural and the general amount of rust on the frame. They said my best bet to get it band-aided would be to find some backwoods shop that might be willing to fix it or replace the frame.
I did ask about welding in new brackets, and that's how I got that response.

I don't have a welder and I'm away from home for college, so I guess I now have the Holy Trailblazer 🙃

· Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
20 Posts
A skilled metal worker can repair that. I have 4 tbs with this problem so I recently fabricated a set of repair brackets for a tb that had both upper trailing arms completely rotted off the frame to design a prototype repair bracket. I used 4x3 structural steel tube to fab the new brackets and reinforced the frame with flat stock steel. I had another undamaged tb to use for measurements so to locate the trailing arm mount exactly where it originally was on the truck . There are repair kits but they require extensive welding and the 4x3 steel tubing bracket eliminated the need for a lot of welding and the frame behind the bracket will be weakened for sure and need reinforcement to make a solid mounting. I initially bolted the repair brackets on the truck so I could later remove and duplicate them and I reinstalled the trailing arms. They worked really well and were fairly easy to make.

· Registered
36 Posts
Gsgnnut: sounds like you came up with a solid repair, maybe better than some of what’s available widely. I don’t have a need for such repair but I’d still like to see your product if you ever post up a photo (nudge nudge).

I’m guessing by your handle you’re into more Buick cars than just the Rainier. I love the Grand Nationals but what I really love is the 1972 Skylark (non-GS) I inherited from my great grandmother many years ago. Future plans are a built GM stroker and 4-speed auto. I have to get all my kids through school and get a little older before I tackle that one though.

· Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
20 Posts
Gsgnnut: sounds like you came up with a solid repair, maybe better than some of what’s available widely. I don’t have a need for such repair but I’d still like to see your product if you ever post up a photo (nudge nudge).

I’m guessing by your handle you’re into more Buick cars than just the Rainier. I love the Grand Nationals but what I really love is the 1972 Skylark (non-GS) I inherited from my great grandmother many years ago. Future plans are a built GM stroker and 4-speed auto. I have to get all my kids through school and get a little older before I tackle that one though.
I'm fabbing up 2 more . Ill post some photos when I install them in a week or so. I also have a 72 suncoupe with a 455 and 4 speed M 21, posi that am finishing up . Total stock exterior with 350 badges but with the drive train of a 70 gs 455.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts