Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Chevy Trailblazer LS 150K
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, this is my first post on here so I thank you all in advance for your assistance. I recently (3K miles ago) purchased a 2003 Trailblazer LS 4WD with about 150K miles. When accelerating from a stop, it sounds and feels like something large is sliding around in the rear of the truck. I hear a loud clunk-like noise and it feels as though something large slid to the back of the truck. Yesterday I was changing the rear brakes, and behind the front part of the rear passenger side wheel, I noticed a split in what looks like part of the frame (please see the attached photos. So I grabbed the rotor and pulled it forward towards the front of the car and backward towards the rear, and sure enough it is making the noise I hear when accelerating. Also, the gap that is in the split seen in the photo is opening and closing. I'm having trouble figuring out what this part is and whether or not there is a prefabricated part that I can purchase to either bolt or weld on. Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd reinforce the lower trailing arm mounts before they break too.
g33may Thank you for your reply and suggestion. I agree, there is certainly added strain on the lower mount now. I'll have to find someone to weld this back together. I noticed through my internet research that for some other vehicles, there are after-market companies that make prefabricated control arm mount brackets that can be drilled and bolted into place as either a substitute to welding or as an added reinforcement. However I can't find anything like this for my Trailblazer. If anyone has any thoughts or opinions on this or if you know of any prefabricated parts like this that exist, please share. Thank you all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
g33may Thank you for your reply and suggestion. I agree, there is certainly added strain on the lower mount now. I'll have to find someone to weld this back together. I noticed through my internet research that for some other vehicles, there are after-market companies that make prefabricated control arm mount brackets that can be drilled and bolted into place as either a substitute to welding or as an added reinforcement. However I can't find anything like this for my Trailblazer. If anyone has any thoughts or opinions on this or if you know of any prefabricated parts like this that exist, please share. Thank you all.
I found the prefabricated mount:
Now I have to come up with the $400 to buy it! Good grief.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
5 Posts
Those mounts are for a Jeep, not a Trailblazer.
I wouldn't blow $400 on them hoping I could make them fit.

Go to a body shop and ask them what they can do.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
333 Posts
With that much rust, I'd fabricate some plates to beef up the frame in that area, then fab the mounts for the trailing arms. Don't know the cost, but as mentioned above, take it to a body shop and have them give you a quote.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
333 Posts
Just curious-have you contacted any shops about this?
After taking a look at the crack, I had a trailing arm break in the same way. It was rusty, but there was a clean break the whole way around, with shiny metal showing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got an 03 from a shady car dealer.. actually rode fine, just a weird vibration at certain speed, thinking tires,but no it wasn't.. First pic is what we found(notice the screw in cut brakeline) second is after $10 in metal and about 10 hours of grinding and fab. Better than factory now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check with several Frame repair shops in your area. Even a Fabrication shop that builds race or custom cars. They obviously weld.. Even may check with shops that do Semi- truck repairs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts