Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and pretty sure this is not the correct location for this question, but I was unable to find the location for frame questions.

We have a "new to us" '06 Trailblazer EXT 4x4. I have a rattle in my right rear and the shop is saying the frame needs to be adjusted near the gas tank.

I guess I didn't realize that frames could be adjusted that easily. For my own sanity I need to understand why a frame would need to be adjusted (aside from getting rid of the rattle, and making it safe). What could have been done to make the frame need to be adjusted. I would greatly appreciate any information you could provide.

Thanks in advance,
Newby to Trailblazers :)

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Unless they're talking about a loose cross-member or the frame is bent, what are they speaking of adjusting? - I'd ask for some clarification there. The gas tanks on our trucks are on the left side, not the right, so I'm curious what this adjustment might be. By chance did they give you an estimate?

For a rattle, the first thing that comes to mind would be the stabilizer end-links, which fail or loosen frequently. (I'm on my 3rd set at just under 70k, but installed Maxx-Links this time, no way they'll wear out). The left or driver side link does bolt up to the frame just behind the tank, but isn't technically part of the frame.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
165 Posts
sounds like to me.. you need to take it somewhere else.. they are trying to screw you..could be a bad trailing arm bushing. or end links like the other guy said..get another estimate.. but remember do not say what the other shop said..

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update

We had the Truck in for several compliants: ticking noise in the rear end, rattle in the rear right, and alignment issues.

The quote included: 1 stabilizer end-link, alignment, frame adjustment (for the rattle/clunking, and new rear brakes- apparently the discs were warped creating the ticking noise (discs & pads).

Hubby is very handy so we decided to the brakes on our own, and have the repair shop do the remainder of the repairs. We discussed the repairs with the mechanic we have work on non-frame issues and he had some reservations about the frame adjustment as well. We decided to have them make the adjustment since it wasn't going to break the bank- $40.

The rattle is gone, and the steering is TIGHT (aka don't turn the wheel unless you need to or you'll get whiplash). The ticking is also gone... which makes me wonder if it wasn't the brakes after all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts