Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prob gonna go pick up a ps3 tomorrow, is it worth getting the 160g over the 80. Everyone seems to have the combo: 160g with uncharted: drakes fortune for $500 and the 80g for $400

I know I will need another controller $55, one or two HDMI cables $75, and optical cable $50

I am not real familiar with everything this machine can do, I know the more memory the better, but just like an ipod will I even use it all?

So my question is, for only a $100 more and already having a game should I just get the 160g? Can I play my movies and games from PSP to PS3?

Oh, and anything else you guys can let me in on that this thing does would be great, I know about the whole online gaming and stuff like downloading movies and games and storing music and videos.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2002 gmc
829 Posts
imo get the 80gb! i have the 60gb and has alot of musics,videos downloaded games, playable demos,bluray demo movies etc and still have 30gb left (i should erase some though:)) unless you plan to unload all your music from your ipod and download a lot of full movie length. Other than that get cod4 and play online so much fun!!:D and about the PSP im not sure but theres a feature called remote play just google it for more info ,since i havent use it with my PSP since my PSP is modded;) and i rather get free games than getting locked by SONY! GL

add me PSN id: vince22

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
:iagree:

You can spend the extra $100 for the optional accessories like a hdmi cable and a controller....I have the 80 gb and to be honest what would you do with a 160gb......

add me too!!
psn: Rico1981

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I went with the 80gb. I just got mine for Christmas. I wasn't interested in the Uncharted game, and with all the more gaming I do, I figured the 80gb would be sufficient.

On a side note ... make sure you have the right TV for all the fancy high def stuff. I bought my high def TV a good 2-3 years ago, and knew nothing about them either, so I just picked one that was reasonably priced. Turns out, mine does not have any HDMI inputs, and only one component input, which I use for my high def cable. So, I am SOL until I go get a new TV. I can still play games, but it seems like there is a lot of distortion.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
52 Posts
I have to agree with the opinions about going with the 80G rather than the 160. The hard drive is upgradeable (Sony even provides instructions in the manual - or at least did with my 60G).

I personally went with the first-gen 60G model, but half of the reason I bought the PS3 was to be able to still play my PS2 games, and the newer consoles (40G, 80G, 160G) don't have the PS2 hardware - they deal with the backwards compatibility through software, and some of my older games were known to have issues. Guess I'm hosed if this one dies - the 60G units are pretty rare these days.

Anyway, I'm looking at upgrading the drive in mine before long, but that's mostly because I have a lot of downloaded games from the Playstation Store, as well as a lot of music (I was so happy when EA put the user soundtrack feature in Burnout Paradise :thumbsup:) and a few movies. My Xbox is in similar condition (and I got the 120G drive on the Xbox) because I loaded a bunch of games to the hard drive and downloaded many more. Now if Nintendo would just let you run games from the SD card. Basically, the downloadable games have been my downfall on all the new systems, but I'm still an old-school gamer geek (still have a working Dreamcast and Atari 2600 downstairs :D).

If you're not going to load a bunch of stuff on the consoles, drive space isn't such a big deal.

-jk

·
Registered
2006 chevy
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the responses guys, I think I will go with the 80.

Drum, the tv won't be an issue, I just got a 52" Sony about 2 weeks ago

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
325 Posts
I dont think the 80gig allows you to play PS2 games. So you have to consider that as well.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Like somebody mentioned the hard drives are very easily upgraded in these and will not void the warranty if you do the upgrade yourself. I have had the 80 gig model for a year now and am very happy with it. I have three teenage kids and it gets played just about everyday.

Sony no longer makes a backward compatible PS3. I bought mine due to the BC and we have never played a PS2 game on it. Our PS2 is still going strong and they use it for the PS2 games.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the 80g this morning with just metal gear solid 4 for now. Now a quick question about the internet, remind you I am not very computer savy. I only have DSL in the house but dont have a phone line near the TV. Can I use a wireless router for DSL, if so, how hard is it to hook up. Im sure I could figure it out, but just want to make sure it is right.

Thanks again guys, and as soon as I get this thing hooked to the net I will be adding you guys who gave me your names. Mine will be SSPRMAN

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,574 Posts
Personally i would go with the 80gb. Like said before you can easily upgrade your hd if you need more.

add me!!!
psn username: flyingfischer5

oh and rico81 it says you have the max amount of friends, and i could not add you:hissy:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
450 Posts
80 gb is fine for me, no reason to get the larger one.

You have estimating WAY too much for cables. www.monoprice.com <--you can get HDMI and optical cables for not even $10 each. No need to buy those overpriced rip off ones. PM me if you have any questions about the cables or need more info.

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
personaly,, I HATE MY PS3,,,THEY ARE GARBAGE!,,,,the blu ray drives in them suck maaaaajor ass!,,i got my 1rst ps3 bout a year ago and im on my 3rd one!,,each one gets to the point were it wont read a disk,,the disck goes in and NOTHING!,,The first time it happened i called sony and they said to reformat the hard drive,,,which if you know,ereases EVEYTHING you have saved,which sucks!,,well that did nothing so they said to send it in,which i did and they sent me a new one for free cause it was under the one year warrany...well bout 5 months went by and the same crap happened and i sent it in,,they sent me a new one blah blah blah,,that one was crap so im on my third one and have my fingers crossed...if you guys havent had problems consider yourselves lucky.............google search "ps3 not reading disks",,,,theres tons of webpages!!,,its a very very common problem.....a xbox is sounding better and better lolmaybe i can use my ps3 as a boat anchor!:undecided:undecided

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
personaly,, I HATE MY PS3,,,THEY ARE GARBAGE!,,,,the blu ray drives in them suck maaaaajor ass!,,i got my 1rst ps3 bout a year ago and im on my 3rd one!,,each one gets to the point were it wont read a disk,,the disck goes in and NOTHING!,,The first time it happened i called sony and they said to reformat the hard drive,,,which if you know,ereases EVEYTHING you have saved,which sucks!,,well that did nothing so they said to send it in,which i did and they sent me a new one for free cause it was under the one year warrany...well bout 5 months went by and the same crap happened and i sent it in,,they sent me a new one blah blah blah,,that one was crap so im on my third one and have my fingers crossed...if you guys havent had problems consider yourselves lucky.............google search "ps3 not reading disks",,,,theres tons of webpages!!,,its a very very common problem.....a xbox is sounding better and better lolmaybe i can use my ps3 as a boat anchor!:undecided:undecided

Sorry to hear about all your problems. I have two and they both work perfect. The bluray player works and looks better then my $500 player i put in my computer. And i have heard worse things about the 360's then ps3. Theres always bad batches of everything. But personally i think the ps3's are better.(And i used to be a xbox lover so i'm not praising PlayStation cause thats the only thing i have ever owned.)

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
Sorry to hear about all your problems. I have two and they both work perfect. The bluray player works and looks better then my $500 player i put in my computer. And i have heard worse things about the 360's then ps3. Theres always bad batches of everything. But personally i think the ps3's are better.(And i used to be a xbox lover so i'm not praising PlayStation cause thats the only thing i have ever owned.)
i agree with the bad batch concept BUT,,when i did my research on line and found all those pages with the same problems over and over again,,literally thousands of people with the same issue not to mention the ones that have had the problem but didnt say it online.....ive heard sony has acknowlegded the problem and are doin somthing bout it but im still checking for proof of it.glad to hear youv been lucky though:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Ya i heard it was a problem with the reader that they got from a different company and all the new ones have a sony reader in it. I think they tried going the cheaper route and it bit them in the ass. I hope you have better luck with the last one you got cuz i love mine. :D

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
ya dont get me wrong,,i like the features it has,,its just been a huge pain in my ass for quite some time now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts