Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
607 Posts
That would probably get most of it out, but the only way to really get the heater lines would be to drain the system, fill with distilled water, and run it with the heater on high to operating temp. Do that 2 or 3 times until the water coming out is pretty much clear. Then refill 1/2 of the system capacity with undiluted dexcool. It takes a while, but like wooluf said you DO NOT want to mix green & red/orange/pink. Chemical reaction...not good. You may even want to consider a chemical flush or a backflush setup, especially if the previous owner did not get out all of the dexcool before putting in the green stuff.

Or, you could just stick with the green and change it every year.

The service manual procedure for flushing says to remove the thermostat, drain and fill, then run the engine for 20 minutes, drain, repeat until nearly colorless, install the stat, and fill. Now, call me stupid, but if anyone can figure out how to remove the stat, then not only fill, but run the engine for 20 minutes...I'd love to hear it!! It does not differentiate between the LL8 or LM4 engines in this procedure. Hopefully this is a misprint, but could be a bad one.

Off the subject...I lived for several years in Bassett. Hello to Danville!

· Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
607 Posts
When you get the t-stat and housing out, grab the housing in both hands. Push down hard on a flat surface and twist the housing about 1/6 turn and release the pressure on the stat spring. You now have the four pieces, bottom keeper, spring, t-stat, and housing. Assemble in the reverse order. :cool:
Well, I'll be...live and learn!! Thanks :thumbsup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.