Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 saab 9_7x
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am embarking on a full fluid flush on my 9-7X 4.2 and I have a coupel of questions about the fluid specs.

I would like to flush the brake fluids using ATE products. The haynes manual says DOT3. Has anyone flushed using ATE SL6 which exceeds both DOT3 & DOT4? I assume this is not an issue but I am trying to stay away from buying ATE Type G which is DOT3.

I would also like to flush my PS fluid using Pentosin CHS 11S-any one have any expereince here?

The reason I want to flush using these fluids is that I already use them on my '06 9-3 Aero and it simplifies the number of products I need to purchase.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
brake fluid- I just pumped until I saw the fluid get clear-
refilled with new prestone fluid. Dot 3 I think it was.
148,000 miles later and the brakes give me no trouble.
Same with other fluids- like power steering- siphon out with turkey baster and replace with new stuff.

Im not familiar with the stuff youre referringt to--- are those for high performance or?

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
I had to put new brakes on at 22k miles. I used the ATE Superblue when I bled the lines. 17k miles and two years later and no problems.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
276 Posts
I think what you want to watch out for on the non Dot 3 brake fluid is it may be silcone based. It gives a higher temp resistance but also absorbs water more readily than Dot 3 fluid. This is what causes the rot.

·
Registered
2005 saab 9_7x
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just heard back from ATE and they recommended SL6 becuase it is DOT3 rated. They recommended that I stay away from SuperBlue/Type 200 becuase of the DOT4. At the same time I can't imagine it would be an issue if the old fluid is flushed through thoroughly.

Someone asked if these brands are high end-ATE is OEM in most European vehicles and they make one of the best DOT4 fluids in super blue/type 200. Pentosin is high end is rarely OEM spec from what I have seen except in Saab sedans & Mercedes. Stuff isn't cheap, but it is good quality and if changed regularly your PS system will treat you well long term.

Thanks for everyone's help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts