Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
10,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was changing oil in the TB. I switched to Amsoil full synthetic last year from Mobil 1 synthetic and I'm doing the 1 year/25k oil change schedule. It's been 1 year and only 8,473 miles.

While under the hood I was checking the other fluids. I checked the PS fluid and it was between Full and Add. I decided to suck out as much fluid as I could get with my turkey baster and added some fresh.

I got to thinking, what other fluids should I change? The TB has 35,614 miles on it and was new in March 06 (0 Miles). The transmission fluid was changed back in May because the sprag gear broke and everything had to be rebuilt. :bonk:

I'm thinking about removing the lower rad hose, draining the radiator and adding fresh coolant. I know this won't get all the old coolant out but it will get most.

Should I suck the old brake fluid out of the reservoir and replace? Again, I know it doesn't get all but it will get most.

What about front and rear diffs?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
Unless your coolant has lost its clarity I wouldn't touch it. My TB at 60,xxx miles got it's coolant changed but still looked new. I was at a training class and they needed a vehicle to show us how the coolant flush machine worked. I was the only one who had one that hadn't been changed recently.

The brake fluid can get fully changed with a good bleed. Suck out the old first and refill.

The PS fluid can be mostly changed the same way you did but doing some lock to lock turns then sucking out the res and refill. I'd say do 4 or 5 drain and refills. You could probably unhook on of the return lines but that'll be messy as hell.

The forum consensus has been diff fluids at about 50K. The transfer case is 50K per the manual. It'll be easier to just do all 3 at 50K.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,009 Posts
Is there a "How-To" for the differential fluids and especially the transfer case fluid removal and replacement?

I want to do this myself, but Need instructions and photos, because I am no mechanic (handy, yes, but not sure what I am looking at)

I DID find this one, but the pics are missing :( http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=33529&highlight=transfer+case

LOL, thanks!
Chris

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
211 Posts
I don't have any pics for you, but the best thing you can do is to go out and get a pump that fits on top of the oil container. About $10 at Walmart. Really no other clean way to do it. The front diff, and the transfer case have both a drain hole and a fill hole. My 2002 rear diff has both as well, but I think that might have changed on the newer years. Anyway remove the FILL plug first, to make sure you won't get stuck with an empty component and a stripped plug. Also you need to lead the stream of transfer case fluid farther than you think. It really pours out of there!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts