Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, 03 trailblazer ext 4.2l 2wd. 103,300 miles

I had the "whine" from the engine that everyone says is the tensioner, its now a metal to metal, nasty almost seized bearing noise. no biggie.

I also get the p0128 code from time to time, needs the tstat replaced, again, no biggie.

Now i have a coolant leak, dripping under the vehicle, seemingly right under the panel that pulls out to drain the oil. I glanced under the hood, looks like its coming from either center towards the lower half of the engine, or the drivers side lower portion of the engine (not a lot of room to see in there)

is this my waterpump? it doesn't overheat at all, it runs to cool actually (tstat). i'm hoping its just my tstat housing leaking, but im not sure.

i was quoted $346 to replace the t stat, tensioner assembly, and belt, (including parts) which i didn't feel was to bad. I haven't asked about the water pump yet as i'm not sure if thats the leak or not.

i'm thinking about doing the repair myself, but i'm lazy these days and not sure if i want to

input? suggestions? advice?

thanks

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
18 Posts
its time for a new water pump buddy. the bearings have siezed and the seals have started to leak. not sure how hard it is to replace never done one on a 4.2 but shouldnt be too bad. do the thermostat and belt while you are there and check all the bearing in tensioner and idles etc. good look

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
18 Posts
I agree....

Sounds like it's your water pump.........Pretty easy fix and if your changing the thermostat, you might as well do both while you have everything apart.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats kinda what i was affraid of. just my luck though. thanks.

oh, just realized i'm in the wrong section, feel free to move to the appropriate section

1 - 4 of 4 Posts