Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could this be a possibility?? if you fliped this around, i was just curious... instead of useing a spacer lift , if you could sucessfuly flip this you could get a 2" lift that way correct??

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
You could make a longer one, and it would be equivalent to putting a spacer on the OUTSIDE of the strut on the top.

But that concept only works at resting height for 2WD vehicles, and it's unsafe for all of them, because it lengthens the strut.

The spacers we put INSIDE the strut, on top of the coil spring, are called spring PRELOAD spacers. They reduce the height that the vehicle settles when the weight is back on the strut, but at the expense of extension distance. James Downing has a great explanation with drawings, but the fundamental problem is that with our upper ball joint design, you can't lengthen the strut and safely allow the suspension to go to full extension when you go over a rise. With no weight on the suspension, a lengthened strut will extend too far and break things. The spring preload spacer design doesn't have this problem because the strut doesn't get any longer.

If it was that easy, we would have done it long ago. Trust us. Our problem has never been figuring out how to make a longer strut. It was figuring out how much it really can be lengthened (the answer is only 1/2") versus how much we can preload the coil and still be able to compress the spring to disassemble the strut.

Just Google for spring preload spacer designs and you should find a few more technical web sites.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
damn that ball joint....lol... thanks roadie... im contsantly learning ....

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i havent researched the part any further but they are 2" lowering strut mount kit, its located here in the marketplace>suspension> last thread on the first page or top on the second page... they are DJM 2" stutr mount lowering kit....

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
if you could sucessfuly flip this you could get a 2" lift that way correct??
I wasn't sure what you meant by flip... if by flip you mean extend... that was what Bill and I were referring to... but did you have another thought? I'm just not sure what you were actually intending by 'flip'.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they bolt on hanging down so it would lower the strut what i meant was rotating them unside down so where the bottom of the strut attaches to is on top(above the bolt point) if my words dont make sense i drew up a basic pic here it is

now looking at it it doesnt look structurally sound

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,329 Posts
they bolt on hanging down so it would lower the strut what i meant was rotating them unside down so where the bottom of the strut attaches to is on top(above the bolt point) if my words dont make sense i drew up a basic pic here it is

now looking at it it doesnt look structurally sound
That looks shorter than the stock mount... :hopeless

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
There's no way they mount it in the 'upside down' orientation... I assume its just 2" shorter than the stock mount. So there is no way we could reuse the same part in the way you wish without extending and rewelding the shaft.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ahhh gotcha guys, i was wondering that at work LOL... thanks for the clarity ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts