Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit a deer late 2008. Took it to insurance preferred garage. They fixed it. I told them there was a flapping noise at highway speeds I could feel a vibration when my feet are flat on the floor at highway speeds. The noise and vibration where not there after the deer and before the garage, only after the garage. The garage said they couldn't find it. I think I found it. The plastic OEM running boards are held onto a metal sub support with plastic clips that go through a slot in the metal and spread out. The metal sub support runs across the top of 3 L shaped brackets that are attached to the metal body. I found the most forward clip to be busted and able to move the running board by hand a lot more than the other side.

My problem is the garage will not fix it because they say there is no problem. I would like to remove the 3 large L brackets to see if it is the source of the flapping and vibration before I start raising hell with my insurance company. Is it possible to remove a running board all built or must you disassemble all the pieces. I am guessing the 3 L brackets are not structural but wanted to get some advise on here.

It is getting really annoying since I run 60 miles highway a day. I just want to get it fixed. Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
If I'm reading this right, the plastic clip on the running board cover is broken? If that's it put a c-clamp or duct tape on temporarily and see if it stops the noise. The body shop says its not a problem probably because they broke it. You will need to go to the insurance company to get an OK.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,113 Posts
If I'm reading this right, the plastic clip on the running board cover is broken? If that's it put a c-clamp or duct tape on temporarily and see if it stops the noise. The body shop says its not a problem probably because they broke it. You will need to go to the insurance company to get an OK.
:iagree: btw idk where in PA you are but we are havin a meet this coming sat in media, pa

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
331 Posts
Mine would come unsnapped occasionally when my foot hit it just right. I ran one of those flat-headed allen bolts (the kind that come with DIY furnature) thru each end at the support. Solved my problem.
Another member found the plastic clip, where it went thru the hole, had been melted to keep it from coming out. You might try some goop at each attachment area. That stuff is tenacious when set.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might try the c clamp idea to make the plastic tight to the metal sub-support. I wonder what the chances of the c clamp falling off are?

I can't believe GM made the running boards held on by plastic clips, oh wait I can. I also can't believe the body shop denies there is a problem because they broke it, oh wait I can again.

I live near Altoona, so Media would be a 4 to 4.5 hour drive for me. I doubt I will make it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried the C clamp idea and the vibration went away completely. I am going to call the garage tomorrow and see what they say.

Now I notice an extremely small vibration in the gas pedal in certain situations.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Now I notice an extremely small vibration in the gas pedal in certain situations.
The pedal is spring-loaded, but has no cables to the engine like the older designs. It's drive by wire, which means there are just a couple of position sensors on the pedal. So vibration in the firewall that the assembly is mounted to is about the only way the pedal can vibrate.

I recommend looking at the tip of your radio antenna to detect engine vibration at idle. I think mine is normally 1/4"-1/2" max oscillation.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The vibration in the pedal might be coming from the running board vibration then. I can feel the running board vibration in the floor and when my left foot is in what I call the dead pedal/foot rest area. This vibration might be making it up and out to the gas pedal then. I notice it the most when I am cruising on the highway and the torque converter locks up and drops RPMs to 1800-1900. Not sure if the lock up is doing it or just the normal vibration from the low rpm/torquing the engine/cruising speed that will happen.

Garage said they are ordering a new running board plastic cover and it should be in early next week.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
So, who's paying for it? You, the garage or insurance?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am pretty sure the garage is hitting up the insurance as a missed item because they where talking about having to send pictures to my insurance company.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My radio antenna only vibrates about the width of the ball on the top of it. Probably only goes 0.25" from center of ball to center of ball on the vibration at idle. I really think the vibration is coming from the running board.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts