Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel for the SOB who lost his tent on the freeway, but I don't feel for the SOB who swerved around it, so that I could take the full force of it. I prayed that I would just drive right over it, however, that was not the case. :no:
I pulled off at the nearest exit and found about fiver linear feet of tent wrapped around my drive shaft. I managedto cut most of it off, but the damn zipper wedged itself in between this "seal/cap" thing that connects the shaft to the diff. I also noticed that I must have taken in a tent pole or two up there as I noticed a shredded rubber hose (about 1/2" in diameter) that used to lead to a sensor which I am not familiar with. Of course I'd pull out my Haynes manual, but I'm living in a hotel for two months (story for another time), so I don't have access to it.
So my question is, can I drop the shaft and be able to get this cap-thing off to finish digging out the zipper AND what does this hose do that got shredded? I tried to follow it back, but it crawled back behind the frame by the rear driver side door and I couldn't see what it connected to. No fuel was leaking out. Is it some sort of vapor emission sensor? The sensor has two outlets on it, but I only see the one shredded hose, so I don't know if something else was completely torn off or not. I was able to unplug it and drive home - didn't throw any codes and gas mileage seemed fine (about 22MPG) on the 50 mile drive. Any help would be appreciated.

ps. If anyone lost their tent on the 5 South this weekend near Camp Pendleton, most of it is in scraps in a little pile off Las Pulgas Rd. :hissy:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
that sucks-- and they probably noticed and kept going...

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The rear ujoint comes apart with four small bolts, then the driveshaft should just go down and slip out of the transmission slip joint. Mark it before removal so you don't rotate it and cause a vibration. Grease the slip joint before reassembly if it's at all dry.

The hose is probably related to the evaporative emission system. It will eventually throw a code, but it's not a drivability or mileage issue. Just pollution.

If you need access to jack stands and tools, and stuff, my driveway is available all week in Vista.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
In a related story, I almost caught a trailer ball hitch in the grille Friday night. I had to ditch into the grass... eek!

If you describe where the sensor is that was broken, we may be able to tell you more. If it's a 1/2" tube, I don't think its the secondary air injection route... did the tube go to the diff/TC/or trans? or was it a separate module?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the offer, and input, Bill. :thumbsup: However, I should be able to access my garage and tools in a few days to get it taken care of.
As for the sensor - if your on your back with your feet hangin out the tail end it's about 4 - 6" back (towards the engine) from the diff and 8" above the drive shaft. It's a black plastic tube in a "T" shape, mounted on a 3" x "3 flat piece of metal. There's another line that runs parallel to the one that got shredded, and backs up into something else. I could see where the damaged tube would connect to, but there was no sign of another that would attach to the other side of the "T", unless I really f'ed something up down there and lost it on the freeway. Cool! I finally figured out how to attach a pic. Guess I really never looked. :duh:

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By George I think that's it! It appears that one end may remain open from the diagram. I'll double-check with Mr. Haynes this week. That hose is gonna be a PIA to replace. Anyone know if I'd be able to find a coupler of sorts with some extra hose? :undecided Guess I'll try Auto Zome or someone. Thanks for your help guys! :tiphat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.